Space shuttle Endeavour returns home after successful missionDecember 1st, 2008 - 12:02 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 1 (ANI) NASAs space shuttle Endeavour and its crew landed safely at Edwards Air Force Base in California on November 30, after the successful completion of repair work at the International Space Station (ISS).
The STS-126 mission featured important repair work and prepared the ISS to house six crew members on long-duration missions beginning next year.
The new station equipment includes a water recovery system, additional sleeping quarters, a second toilet and an exercise device.
During four spacewalks, the crew serviced the stations two Solar Alpha Rotary Joints, which allow its solar arrays to track the sun, and installed new hardware that will support future assembly missions.
Astronaut Sandra Magnus replaced Expedition 18 Flight Engineer Greg Chamitoff on the ISS, who returned to Earth on Endeavour after more than five months on the station.
Weather concerns prevented the crew from returning to NASAs Kennedy Space Center in Florida, the primary end-of-mission landing site.
In 7-10 days, Endeavour will be transported approximately 2,500 miles from California to Florida on the back of a modified 747 jumbo jet.
Once at Kennedy, Endeavour will be separated from the aircraft to begin immediate processing for its next flight, targeted for May 2009.
STS-126 was the 124th space shuttle mission, the 22nd flight for Endeavour and the 27th shuttle visit to the station.
With Endeavour and its crew safely home, the stage is set for the launch of STS-119, targeted for February 12, 2009. (ANI)
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA sets space shuttle Endeavour's final launch for April 29 - Apr 20, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour docks with International Space Station - May 19, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour to return on November 30 - Nov 29, 2008
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour prepares to leave space station, return to Earth - May 29, 2011
- NASA calls off Endeavour launch attempt due to technical problem - Apr 30, 2011
- Shuttle Discovery heads to International Space Station on its final mission - Feb 25, 2011
- Weather 70 percent 'go' for space shuttle Endeavour launch - Apr 29, 2011
- Atlantis docks with space station one last time - Jul 10, 2011
- NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- Space Shuttle Discovery returns to Earth after successful mission - Sep 12, 2009
Tags: 747 jumbo jet, crew members, duration missions, edwards air force, edwards air force base, endeavour returns, exercise device, flight engineer, international space station, kennedy space center, launch, new hardware, rotary joints, solar arrays, space shuttle endeavour, space shuttle mission, space station iss, station weather, successful mission, water recovery system