SP will support Pawars PM bid: Amar SinghFebruary 15th, 2009 - 4:16 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 15, (ANI): Samajwadi Party (SP) General Secretary Amar Singh on Sunday met Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar at his residence here and declared that his party would support the Agriculture Ministers bid to become Indias next Prime Minister after the elections.
Pawars party is a part of Democratic Front (DF) government in Maharashtra along with the Congress. His NCP is also part of the UPA coalition government at the Centre.
Amar Singh also added that the SP will seek an alliance with the Congress.
After the meeting Pawar is said to have consulted with senior leaders of his party, including Praful Patel, Deepti Tripathi and Tariq Anwar.
The SP and NCP have been demanding seats from Congress outside their home turfs of Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra. The SP also wants to contest a few seats in Madhya Pradesh.
Sundays meeting took place after the NCP core committee met on Saturday and said that it was keen to have a grand alliance in Maharashtra, which would include the Samajwadi Party.
The meeting is being seen as an attempt to create a pressure group within the United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
The negotiating teams of the Congress and the NCP are expected to meet next week to discuss the seat-sharing formula for the elections. (ANI)
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Want early decision on BMC polls: NCP - Jan 09, 2012
- Congress tries hard to mollify NCP, Pawar unswayed (Intro Roundup) - Jul 21, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- Pawar, NCP leaders meet Pranab Mukherjee - Jul 23, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Praful denies resignation, NCP stays with UPA (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- NCP and government mend fences, PM praises Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- After Trinamool, NCP adds to Congress's coalition travails (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: agriculture ministers, coalition government, core committee, deepti, general secretary, grand alliance, madhya pradesh, maharashtra, meeting took place, nationalist congress party, ncp, New Delhi, praful patel, pressure group, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, sharad pawar, tariq anwar, tripathi, turfs