S&P forecasts double digit inflation in India till February 2009August 13th, 2008 - 5:03 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, August 12 (ANI): Standard & Poor’’s, the global rating agency, has forecast that inflation in India is likely to remain in double-digit figure till February 2009.
Standard and Poor’’s Asia-Pacific Chief Economist Subir Gokarn in a teleconference with reporters said, “We expect the Wholesale Price Index (WPI) to continue in double-digit figures till February next year and after which it will drop below that level and remain favourable beyond March, 2009.”
Gokarn also said that this could propel another rate hike from the Reserve Bank of India in October.
“After a rate hike in October, another rise in interest rates may be expected in January next year, if oil prices go back to their peak, but it has lesser probability,” Gokarn added.
Inflation had touched 12.1 per cent, the highest in over 13 years, for the week ended July 26.
Following which on July 29, the RBI had raised banks” Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR), the mandatory deposits banks keep with the apex bank, by 0.25 per cent and short term lending rate to banks or repo rate by 0.50 per cent.
This was the fourth time that the CRR was hiked this fiscal and repo rate the third time by the RBI, in order to moderate credit growth. (ANI)
- Police rates hiked to tame inflation: RBI - Aug 12, 2011
- Action will show impact on inflation in 6-12 months: RBI - Aug 12, 2010
- Inflation accelerates to 7.23 percent in April - May 14, 2012
- RBI hikes key rates by 0.25 percent to curb inflation - Jan 25, 2011
- Inflation rises to 7.23 percent; food prices surge (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Inflation, fiscal deficit leave little room for rate cut - Jul 29, 2012
- RBI hikes policy rates and CRR by 25 basis points - Apr 20, 2010
- Inflation rises to 7.55 percent, food prices surge - Jun 14, 2012
- Increase in policy rates a necessary step to tame inflation: Pranab Mukherjee - May 03, 2011
- Petrol price hike to marginally push inflation up: RBI - Sep 16, 2011
- RBI raises repo rate by 25 bps, reverse repo by 50 bps - Jul 27, 2010
- Inflation down by 6.87 percent - Aug 14, 2012
- Inflation eases, but food prices surge - Jul 16, 2012
- Inflation eases a tad to 9.22 percent in July - Aug 16, 2011
- RBI expected to cut key lending rates to spur growth - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: 13 years, apex, apex bank, asia pacific, bank of india, cash reserve ratio, chief economist, digit figure, digit figures, favourable, inflation, mandatory deposits, oil prices, rate hike, rbi, reserve bank of india, standard and poor, teleconference, third time, wholesale price index