Soon, a magic mirror to dress you the virtual styleSeptember 28th, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 28 (ANI): Ever wondered how easy it would be if we could shop for clothes without having to try them on? Well, that vision could soon become a reality, thanks to the magic mirror” developed by researchers in Berlin.
Scientists at Heinrich-Hertz-Institut (HHI) in Berlin said that this mirror-like display enables shoppers to see themselves wearing different items of clothing without having to undo a single button.
The computerized mirror takes a life-size 3-D image of customers bodies and dresses them in a picture of the outfits they have chosen.
At this pioneering stage, shoppers can navigate around a control panel at the side of the mirror to change the colour and pattern of the clothes they have tried on.
Researchers hope soon to be able to change clothes on screen without the need to struggle with zips or buttons.
Our goal is to be able to dress people virtually, Timesonline quoted Anna Hilsmann, one of the mirrors developers at the Heinrich-Hertz Institute in Berlin, as saying.
The new technology is one of a range of body-scanning techniques that could one day lead to an electronic version of bespoke tailoring.
After a visit to a shop to be photographed and have their measurements logged, consumers could order goods online or at the store.
Their measurements would then be sent to factories where the chosen designs could be manufactured in the right size.
Consumers could order goods whenever they saw a new range they liked.
Hilsmann said several international companies were interested in developing the mirror technology.
One benefit could be to reduce the number of wrong-sized clothes bought in shops. (ANI)
- Enjoy 3D movies without glasses - Aug 19, 2012
- Now, watch 3-D films on your cell phone! - Feb 12, 2011
- Interactive window-shopping could soon be a reality - Jan 15, 2011
- Soon, watch 3-D movies on your TV, computer via Internet and satellite - Aug 27, 2010
- Now, 3-D body scanners to tell if a cloth fits you or not - Apr 19, 2010
- She cannot still reconcile to fall of Berlin Wall - Aug 13, 2011
- Now, use your fingers as remote control to perform variety of tasks - Feb 21, 2009
- German Supermarket scores with its nudist gimmick - Jun 18, 2012
- London really is the 'shopping capital of the world' - Feb 17, 2011
- 'Tweet Mirror' captures shoppers look in changing room, asks pals for online feedback! - Mar 31, 2011
- Now, body scanning technology to help shoppers buy "perfect fitting" clothes - Oct 17, 2009
- Light from lamps could one day encode a wireless broadband signal - Mar 10, 2010
- Gaga to style department store for X-mas - Nov 16, 2011
- Myntra ventures into Bollywood, joins hands with 'Cocktail' - Jul 08, 2012
- Scientists to spot alien oceans with next generation of telescopes - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: benefit, berlin, consumers, control panel, developers, dresses, electronic version, factories, heinrich hertz institut, heinrich hertz institute, hhi, magic mirror, measurements, mirror technology, new technology, reality thanks, scientists, shoppers, sized clothes, zips