Sonia to meet J-K leaders today govt formationDecember 29th, 2008 - 11:50 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 29 (ANI): Congress President Sonia Gandhi will meet Jammu and Kashmir party leaders here today to decide on formation of the government in the state.
The core group of the Congress met here last evening at Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh’’s residence to take stock of the results of Jammu and Kashmir State Assembly elections. The National Conference secured 28 seats, the People’’s Democratic Party (PDP) 21, Congress-17, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-11, and independent candidates 10 seats in the seven-phased polls.
Speculations are rife that Farooq Abdullah-led National Conference (NC) may prefer staking claim to form government in coalition with Congress.
The National Conference and the Congress had formed coalition Governments in the eighties. The Government was then headed by Dr Farooq Abdullah.
Before the dissolution of the Assembly, the State had a coalition government composed of the Congress, the PDP and other parties. Earlier, in the eighties the State had a coalition governments composed of the National Conference and the Congress. (ANI)
- Farooq cautions Congress on PDP's designs - Nov 27, 2011
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- 'Coalition politics future governance mantra in India' - May 02, 2012
- Farooq Abdullah asks brother to quit as party spokesman - Nov 10, 2011
- Farooq Abdullah asks his brother to toe party line - Nov 04, 2011
- Srinagar speculations suggest National Conference-Congress coalition in J&K - Dec 28, 2008
- Rotational chief minister decision upto 'high command': Soz - Dec 17, 2011
- Call fresh elections in Kashmir: National Panthers Party - Nov 08, 2011
- Farooq angry over talk of chief minister's rotation - Dec 27, 2011
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- Poll victory shows alliance unity: Omar - Apr 13, 2011
- Kashmir Congress slams ally NC over leader's remarks - Jul 09, 2012
- BJP demands Omar's resignation - Oct 23, 2011
- NC leader intensifies attack on Congress - Jul 10, 2012
- Congress-NC fissures surface again - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, coalition government, coalition governments, congress president sonia gandhi, core group, democratic party, dissolution, dr farooq abdullah, dr manmohan singh, eighties, independent candidates, kashmir, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, party leaders, pdp, prime minister, speculations, state assembly