Sonia should apologise: AdvaniApril 13th, 2009 - 2:33 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvanthapuram, Apr 13 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L K Advani on Monday asked Congress President Sonia Gandhi to apologise for her critical remarks on the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) in a recent election meeting in Jharkhand.
Addressing a press conference here, Advani said that he was shocked to hear Gandhi’s statement that, “we are in greater danger from people inside than from foreign terrorists entering India”.
Although Sonia Gandhi did not particularly mention a party’s name, Advani said it “substantially accuses us and the comments were clear”.
Accusing Gandhi of having meagre knowledge about her own party’s history, Advani asserted that there has been a tradition in India of leaders appreciating the role of Jan Sangh in the nation’s development.
He claimed that even during 1962 and 1965 wars, then Prime Ministers Jawaharlal Nehru and Lal Bahadur Shastri had praised the role of Jan Sangh and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
He said that a rare exception was made in 1963 when Nehru asked the RSS to send a contingent for the Republic Day parade.
“Obviously, she does not know the history of her own party. She makes a statement of this kind. This is slander. She should apologise for this statement or join a debate on fundamentalist issues like Al Qaeda,” said Advani.
Expressing regret on the disintegrating war of words before the elections, Advani said that it was clear that the prime fight was between the BJP-led NDA and the Congress-led UPA.
“The so-called Third and Fourth Fronts were irrelevant as they were opportunists, who had no platform on their own or a common platform. The CPI(M) was trying to cobble a Third Front only to fight its own growing irrelevance,” he said. (ANI)
- Advani asks Sonia to apologise for 'slandering' BJP - Apr 13, 2009
- Congress criticizes BJP over fresh Wikileaks revelations - Mar 26, 2011
- Advani points to a leadership vacuum (Comment) - Aug 11, 2012
- Advani hints he may not be PM candidate in 2014 - Sep 21, 2011
- No surefire winners in race to be PM (Comment) - Sep 24, 2011
- Advani turns 84, recalls association with RSS - Nov 08, 2011
- Presidential run-up more damaging for BJP than Congress (Comment) - Jun 23, 2012
- BJP slams Digvijay for remark on RSS terror involvement - Jul 16, 2011
- Sibal pulls up BJP over WikiLeaks revelations - Mar 27, 2011
- Advani apologises to Sonia for black money allegations - Feb 18, 2011
- 'BJP giving moral support to Ramdev campaign' (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- RSS asks Rahul to learn more - Oct 06, 2010
- PM's post should not become fiefdom of a family : Advani - Jun 26, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi immature: BJP leader Shahi - Oct 08, 2010
- RSS, BJP deny differences on Advani yatra - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, congress president sonia gandhi, CPI, critical remarks, greater danger, irrelevance, jan sangh, jawaharlal nehru, jharkhand, l k advani, lal bahadur shastri, national democratic alliance, nda, opportunists, prime ministers, rare exception, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, republic day, war of words