Sonia lauds Andhra Pradesh government for women empowermentSeptember 11th, 2008 - 7:34 pm ICT by ANI
Tirupati, Sep 11 (ANI): Congress president Sonia Gandhi today praised the Andhra Pradesh government for taking the lead in womens empowerment in the country.
She said the performance of the state government to empower women was not only admired by the rest of the country but had also aroused curiosity abroad.
During my visit to other countries, I am often asked by women leaders about the programmes taken up by the Andhra Pradesh government, she said while interacting with members of self-help groups (SHGs) and women beneficiaries of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS).
I wish to congratulate the Chief Minister for his leadership in ensuring women get fully empowered, she said in the presence of Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy.
Soon after her arrival at Renigunta airport on a day-long visit to the state, Sonia Gandhi had an interaction with SHG members. Some women explained to her how the SHGs helped them earn livelihood.
I congratulate each one of my sisters. Your dedication, courage and hard work is producing results, she told the women.
Andhra Pradesh accounts for one-third of SHGs in the country. They are doing a commendable job in poverty reduction in rural areas. There are about 8.8 million women members of the SHGs, which get soft loans from the state government to run small businesses.
She will address a meeting of SHG members here and a public meeting in Anantapur later Thursday. She will also inaugurate the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) in Kadapa. (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi praises Andhra for women's empowerment - Sep 11, 2008
- Self-help groups to get loans at lower rates: Jairam Ramesh - Jun 21, 2011
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi promises development of Tirupati (Lead) - Sep 11, 2008
- Sonia launches livelihood mission for rural poor - Jun 03, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to undertake quick Andhra Pradesh tour - Sep 10, 2008
- Sonia Gandhi sounds election bugle in Andhra Pradesh (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2008
- National livelihood mission to rural raise workers's skills - Jun 03, 2011
- Showcasing a 'pro-poor' agenda in tribal heartland - Jun 07, 2011
- Sonia to launch rural livelihood mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Jagan's supporters attack Congress offices - Nov 29, 2010
- Andhra proposes non-banking finance body for self-help groups - Jun 21, 2011
- Empowering lives, transforming villages - the self-help way (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- Government keen to reduce loan rate for self help groups: Ramesh - Jul 19, 2011
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: beneficiaries, chief minister, commendable job, congress president sonia gandhi, courage, curiosity, dedication, guarantee scheme, interaction, lauds, livelihood, poverty reduction, rural areas, self help groups, sep 11, small businesses, soft loans, state government, taking the lead, women leaders