Sonia Gandhi to kick off her party’s campaign in GujaratNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:19 am ICT by admin
Before addressing the rally, Sonia will visit Sardar Vallabhai Patel’s native place Karamsad and will offer tributes to him.
This will be Sonia’s first visit to Gujarat after the announcement of poll dates by the Election Commission.
In the run up to the two-phase polling, political activities have started gaining momentum, particularly after the Tehelka sting operations related to 2002 post Godhra riots.
The BJP and the Congress are trading charges and counter-charges against each other.
Narendra Modi’s failure in effective implementation of central schemes, preventing tribals and rural people from getting employment, and 100 days of wages guaranteed under the NREG scheme will be stressed upon during the party’s campaign.
The Congress has already challenged Modi for a public debate on the issue of development in the state.
The electoral process for the 12th Gujarat State Assembly will begin from November 15, and state electorate will cast their votes on December 11 and 16.
Counting of votes for the 182-member Gujarat assembly will take place on December 23.
The Bharatiya Janata Party managed to win 127 seats, while the Congress party was able to win only 51 seats in the 2002 Gujarat assembly polls. The Janata Dal (United) and independents won two seats each. (ANI)
- Narendra Modi kickstarts poll campaign in Gujarat - Sep 11, 2012
- Modi steps up attack on Congress-led UPA - Jun 10, 2012
- Shankarsinh Vaghela to head Congress' Gujarat campaign panel - Sep 02, 2011
- Using lunch box to mobilise party - the Modi way - Aug 12, 2011
- BJP shall form next government in Assam: Nitin Gadkari - Mar 23, 2011
- Campaign picks up for Bihar polls - Oct 16, 2010
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Rahul to review UP poll results Friday - Apr 03, 2012
- BJP echoes Modi's barb on Sonia - Jun 14, 2010
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Jayalalithaa confident of AIADMK victory in civic polls - Oct 17, 2011
- Is BJP resurrecting Keshubhai to take on Modi? (Gujarat Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Election victory cannot wipe away any crime: Sushma - Mar 23, 2011
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, bjp, central schemes, congress party, gaining momentum, godhra riots, gujarat state, narendra modi, poll dates, sardar, sonia gandhi, state electorate, sting operations, tehelka, tribals