Sonia Gandhi re-elected as UPA chairpersonMay 20th, 2009 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 20 (ANI): Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday re-elected as the chairperson of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), which is all set to form the next government at the Centre.
During a meeting of the UPA, held at Gandhi’s residence 10, Janpath, she was re-nominated the chairperson of the UPA.
During the meeting, the allies have discussed the numbers they have to form the government and the distribution of portfolios in the new Cabinet. They also stressed on the need of having a common minimum agenda for the new government.
This was the first meeting of the Congress and its pre-poll allies after the Lok Sabha election results.
Apart from Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, senior Congress leaders Pranab Mukherjee, P. Chidambaram, A.K. Antony, DMK President and Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, M. Karunanidhi, Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee, Jammu and Kashmir National Conference leader Dr. Farooq Abdullah, and NCP leaders Sharad Pawar and Praful Patel were attended the meeting.
Dr. Singh, who was elected leader of the Congress Parliamentary Party will meet President Pratibha Patil today to stake claim to form the government. (ANI)
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Praful denies resignation, NCP stays with UPA (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pawar, Patel meet Sonia Gandhi - Nov 03, 2011
- NCP and government mend fences, PM praises Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- President invites Manmohan Singh to form government - May 20, 2009
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress - Jul 21, 2012
- NCP declares truce, alliance to have more 'coordination' (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- PM willing to talk to NCP 'on any issue' (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress tries hard to mollify NCP, Pawar unswayed (Intro Roundup) - Jul 21, 2012
- UPA discusses ministerial berths, endorses Sonia as chairperson (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- UPA discusses ministerial berths, appoints Sonia chairperson (Second Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Manmohan hits home stretch, to take oath as PM Friday (Roundup) - May 20, 2009
- Manmohan hits home stretch, to take oath as PM Friday (Intro Roundup) - May 20, 2009
Tags: chief minister of tamil nadu, conference leader, congress leader, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, dr farooq abdullah, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, jammu and kashmir, lok sabha election, lok sabha election results, m karunanidhi, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, praful patel, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, sharad pawar, stake claim, trinamool congress