Sonia Gandhi launches Congress poll campaign in OrissaApril 2nd, 2009 - 8:18 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Apr 2 (ANI): Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Thursday launched her party’s poll campaign in the state.
The UPA chairperson, who is on a day-long visit to the state, criticized the Naveen Patnaik-led Orissa Government for taking credit for the schemes launched by the Central Government.
“The Central Government had started a scheme of selling rice at cheaper rate but the State government is trying to mislead people by claiming credit for it,” Gandhi said while addressing a rally at Jamunda village in Bargarh District.
She also blamed the State government for hampering development in the state.
“Development had been hampered in Orissa because of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-Biju Janata Dal (BJD) coalition and now they are blaming each other after the alliance ended,” she added.
Gandhi also alerted people of Orissa against divisive forces.
“Some people were trying to create disturbance and that needs to be foiled. People of Orissa are peace loving, but seeds of hatred are being sown by some outfits. People must remain alert against divisive forces and maintain peace, brotherhood and unity,” she added.
The polls in Orissa are scheduled to be held in two phases- April 16 and April 23 - to elect 147 members to the State Assembly and 21 members to the Lok Sabha. (ANI)
- Sonia launches Congress campaign in Orissa - Apr 02, 2009
- Sonia says Third Front 'prone to disintegration' (Lead) - Apr 03, 2009
- Congress never cared for poor but enriched itself, says Gadkari - Jan 17, 2011
- Chhattisgarh assesses rural development, skips rebel areas - Apr 18, 2012
- Central government neglecting Orissa: Naveen Patnaik - Aug 10, 2011
- VHP leader's murder, riots major issues in Orissa - Apr 07, 2009
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- Sonia pulls up AGP, lauds Gogoi Govt. for Assam's development - Apr 01, 2011
- Odisha kidnapping: BJP, BJD slam central government - Mar 23, 2012
- BJD's protest march against central government - Oct 02, 2010
- 100 held for protesting Vedanta project - Aug 26, 2010
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- After BJD and Shiv Sena, Rahul 'surprises' Mayawati - May 11, 2011
- Orissa forest guard shot dead by Maoists - Sep 19, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, brotherhood, central government, chairperson, congress president sonia gandhi, divisive forces, hatred, Lok Sabha, naveen patnaik, orissa government, peace, poll campaign, rally, s poll, seeds, state assembly, state government, unity, UPA