Sonia Gandhi inaugurates tourism guest house, more roads in Rae BareliNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:25 am ICT by admin
She distributed tri-cycles to the handicapped in Rae Bareli at the ITI Guest House. She also gave away 11-cheques worth fifteen thousand each to individuals to buy goats and earn their livelihoods through them.
She attended public meetings at Pilkha, Bhira, Govindpur, Vishvanathganj Chauraha, Sahjoura and Ramnagar.
She called it a day after meeting the local party leaders and discussing issues with them.
On Tuesday,she launched several developmental projects, including a 220-kv power sub-station, nine new road construction projects under the Prime Minister’s Gram Sadak Yojana at Churva.
“Availability of electricity will have a positive effect on the people of the area. Power is one of the fundamental needs of the people today, thus we should not waste it as it is scarce,” she said after inaugurating the power station.
Sonia, who was accompanied by Union Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, said that the UPA government is targeting to electrify all homes by 2012.
“Under the Rajiv Gandhi Electrification Scheme we are targeting 1737 villages and more than two lakhs homes are being electrified, out of which 1.75 lakh homes will get free connections till 2008,” she added.
She took stock of the National Dairy Development Board’s unit in Bachrawan, Kundanganj, Harchnadpur and Dusauti.
She also visited the Hariyali Kishan Bazar in Didauli and inaugurated a computer laboratory at the Firoze Gandhi Engineering College.
She has assured social activists that the UPA will consider working out a land policy and creation of a National Land Commission to protect the interests of people in rural areas, tribals and Dalits.
The assurance was given to a group of activists led by Magsaysay Award winner Aruna Roy.
Gandhi assured the delegation that she would speak with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issues raised by the activists upon his return from his visit to Nigeria and South Africa.
The activists have already given a copy of a Land Policy that they have drafted to the Prime Minister.
The activists met Gandhi even as around 25,000 tribals and farmers have undertaken a march to the national capital from Gwalior demanding that their land rights be protected. The marchers will reach Delhi on October 29. (ANI)
- Sonia in Rae Bareli, raps officials on development work - Mar 31, 2010
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sonia launches developmental projects in Rae Bareli - Nov 14, 2007
- Sonia Gandhi begins two-day Rae Bareli visit - Feb 04, 2011
- UP to get 148 model schools: Sonia Gandhi - Jul 26, 2012
- Sonia announces several schemes for Rae Bareli - Jul 27, 2012
- Secretaries to explore ways to improve governance in India - Feb 03, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate conference of chief secretaries - Feb 04, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi hears public grievances in Rae Bareli - Feb 05, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi's three-day Rae Bareli visit concludes - Nov 14, 2007
- Samajwadi Party not to fight in Rae Bareli in 2014 - Sep 13, 2012
- Mayawati meets PM; seeks flood relief, approval of airport project (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Gandhi confidant Pulok Chatterjee joins PMO - Oct 03, 2011
- Huge support for Jan Lokpal bill in Sonia's constituency - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: activists, assured, dairy development, guest house, magsaysay award, national dairy development board, prime minister, rae bareli, rain shelter, rajiv gandhi, sonia gandhi, sushil kumar shinde, tribals, UPA, yojana