Sonia Gandhi deplores treatment of poor Children in IndiaFebruary 5th, 2009 - 7:24 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb. 5 (ANI): UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi has said that it is shameful that children are being tortured in India. Her statement comes in the backdrop of the incident of a Dalit girl being beaten by police in Etawah.
Speaking at a function in New Delhi on Thursday to give away the National Child awards, she said the country needed to implement child protection laws very rigorously.
Though children are gods gift to the world and despite all laws to protect them, it is sad to note that in Indian children are still being tortured which makes our head hang in shame. All of us should raise our voices against such horrific incidents.
She urged the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) to ensure that laws to protect children are used properly.
We have the largest number of children in the world which is around 40 crore. They will be responsible for the future of the country, Gandhi said.
Observing that a woman can ensure the well-being of her children and family only if she stands on her feet, Sonia said the UPA Government had thus focused on women’’s self help groups.
I am worried that a large number of children instead of going to school are working. Child labour eradication needs more effort. There is also a need to stop female foeticide and child marriages, she said.
Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhary, who was also present at the occasion, appealed to citizens across the country to ensure that female foetuses were not killed.
Even now we practice female foeticide. If we keep on killing girls then how can we have colour in our society, she said. (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi calls children's torture a 'shame' - Feb 05, 2009
- Honour for women delivering girl child - Aug 09, 2012
- Nearly 120 rescued after raid on Haryana protection home - May 10, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi calls children's torture a 'shame' (Lead) - Feb 05, 2009
- Noida police draw flak for exposing rape victim (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- NGO worker, son-in-law arrested for assaulting protection home inmates (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Apex child rights panel to complete five years - Mar 03, 2012
- Children tortured in observation homes - Aug 11, 2011
- Probe into abuse by Haryana cops in women's shelter (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Falling child sex ratio is national shame: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- Need to fight bias against girl child: President - Aug 14, 2011
- 'Enforcement of laws on women hit by lack of funds' - Jul 12, 2012
- Re-double efforts to protect women: President - Aug 02, 2012
- Time to wake up to child labour issue, says Gursharan Kaur - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: backdrop, chairperson, child development, child labour, child marriages, chowdhary, citizens, crore, development minister, eradication, female foeticide, foetuses, gods gift, New Delhi, renuka, self help groups, shame, sonia gandhi, UPA, voices