Sonia Gandhi arrives in Meghalaya to address poll ralliesFebruary 23rd, 2008 - 5:23 pm ICT by admin
Shillong, Feb 23 (ANI): Congress party president and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi arrived in Jowai in Meghalaya’s Jaintia Hills District on Saturday to address an election rally ahead of Assembly polls, which are scheduled to take place in the State on March 3.
Gandhi is also scheduled to address a rally in Tura in the State’s West Garo Hills District.
In anticipation of her visit, the banned Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) organised a 12-hour shutdown on Saturday, which failed to evoke any response.
Polls are being held in Meghalaya to elect 60 news member to the State Assembly, and security has been tightened for Gandhi’s visit, as well as for next month’s polls. (ANI)
- Strike hits Republic Day in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Two armed Khasi rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Ex-member of rebel group held in Meghalaya - Feb 24, 2012
- Meghalaya defers civic polls - Jul 14, 2011
- Governor laments rising militancy in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2012
- No compromise on sovereignty: Lyngdoh - Aug 29, 2012
- Meghalaya CM expresses concern over activities of new militant outfits - Aug 15, 2010
- Shutdown brings normal life to standstill in Meghalaya - May 14, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Meghalaya - Sep 20, 2011
- Security stepped up in Meghalaya as rebels call shutdown - Aug 14, 2010
- Meghalaya deputy speaker's vehicle set afire - Apr 24, 2012
- Meghalaya braces for three shutdowns - May 17, 2010
- Garo Hills civic polls postponed after violence - Oct 29, 2010
- Chamber choir gives balm to Meghalaya in turmoil (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 30, 2010
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: anticipation, assembly polls, chairperson, congress party president, election rally, garo hills district, jaintia hills, meghalaya, national liberation, poll, rallies, shillong, sonia gandhi, state assembly, tura, UPA, west garo hills, west garo hills district