Sonawane killing main accused Shinde diesJanuary 31st, 2011 - 4:21 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Jan 31 (ANI): Popat Shinde, the main accused in the murder of Additional District Collector Yashwant Sonawane, died at a hospital here on Monday.
He was admitted to the hospital with serious burn injuries after Sonawane reportedly grabbed him during the attack.
Shinde was one of those, who poured kerosene over the Additional District Collector, when he tried to take photographs of kerosene being stolen from an oil tanker.
Earlier on January 26, six people were sent to police custody by a local court in Sonawane murder case.
In all, eight people are accused in the case.
Sonawane was burnt alive by the oil mafia on Tuesday at Manmad in Nasik District. He had gone there to conduct raids.
According to the police, a group of eleven men poured kerosene on him, and set him on fire. Sonawane tried to fight back by grabbing Popat Shinde, the ringleader of his attackers, but died within minutes.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has ordered an inquiry into the incident and asked that the ambit of the probe in the officer’s murder be expanded to include the entire oil mafia nexus, and announced a compensation of Rs.25 lakh for the Sonawane family. (ANI)
- Maharashtra CM visits Sonawane family, promises action - Jan 30, 2011
- Sonawane killing: Maharashtra gazetted officers go on strike - Jan 27, 2011
- Jaipal Reddy holds emergency meeting to discuss oil adulteration issue - Jan 27, 2011
- Main accused in burning of Sonawane dies of injuries - Jan 31, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi shocked by Sonawane killing - Jan 29, 2011
- Six more held for burning alive Malegaon officer (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Six people sent to police custody in Sonawane murder case - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP alleges politician-oil mafia nexus, seeks CBI inquiry - Jan 28, 2011
- Burning of Malegaon official to be probed; compensation announced - Jan 26, 2011
- Kerosene mafia burns government officer alive - Jan 25, 2011
- Kerosene mafia attack police team in Nagpur - Feb 01, 2011
- Sonawane's burning: Maharashtra government employees on strike - Jan 27, 2011
- Four nabbed for setting on fire raiding senior officer (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Sonawane a martyr: Reddy - Jan 27, 2011
- Maharashtra raids adulterators, widow seeks CBI probe (Night Lead) - Jan 27, 2011