Sonawane killing: Maharashtra gazetted officers go on strikeJanuary 27th, 2011 - 1:00 pm ICT by ANI
Manmad (Maharashtra), Jan 27 (ANI): Gazetted officers across Maharashtra are on strike in protest against the brutal killing of Additional Collector Yashwant Sonawane at Manmad in Maharashtra.
The officers will hold rallies across the state. There main demand is protection to the officers and employees while on duty and there other demand is severe punishment for the culprits.
Sonawane was burnt alive to death by the oil mafia on Tuesday at Manmad in Nasik. He had gone there to conduct raids.
According to police, a group of eleven men turned on him, poured kerosene over him, and then set him on fire. Sonawane tried to fight back by grabbing Popat Shinde, the ringleader of his attackers. But he died within minutes.
Shinde is now in a local hospital with serious burn injuries.
The other accused were produced before a local court in Manmad on Wednesday and remanded in police custody till February 8,
Mahrashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has announced a Rs.25 lakh compensation for the family of Sonawane. (ANI)
- Maharashtra CM visits Sonawane family, promises action - Jan 30, 2011
- Sonawane killing main accused Shinde dies - Jan 31, 2011
- Jaipal Reddy holds emergency meeting to discuss oil adulteration issue - Jan 27, 2011
- Six more held for burning alive Malegaon officer (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi shocked by Sonawane killing - Jan 29, 2011
- Burning of Malegaon official to be probed; compensation announced - Jan 26, 2011
- Sonawane's burning: Maharashtra government employees on strike - Jan 27, 2011
- BJP alleges politician-oil mafia nexus, seeks CBI inquiry - Jan 28, 2011
- Main accused in burning of Sonawane dies of injuries - Jan 31, 2011
- Six people sent to police custody in Sonawane murder case - Jan 26, 2011
- Four nabbed for setting on fire raiding senior officer (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Kerosene mafia burns government officer alive - Jan 25, 2011
- Senior district official set afire by petrol mafia (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Sonawane's widow demands CBI probe; government staff strike work (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Maharashtra raids adulterators, widow seeks CBI probe (Night Lead) - Jan 27, 2011