Some Sikhs protest against Bhindranwales portrait in Golden TempleDecember 14th, 2007 - 1:14 pm ICT by admin
Ludhiana, Dec 14 (ANI): Some Sikhs, who support the Congress Party, have protested the installation of a portrait of rebel Sikh leader, Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, in a museum inside the Golden Temple.
“They (the State Government) have tried to skirt the issue of Bhindranwale by mentioning General Dyer. They argue that since a portrait of General Dyer, who was responsible for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, can be hung in the museum then Bhindranwale is not a big deal. They have tried to close the topic by doing this,” said Lal Singh, a Congress politician.
Bhindranwales portrait was unveiled on November 29.
The Congress party has sought the intervention of Prime Minster Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil in the matter.
Bhindranwale spearheaded militancy in Punjab, and was killed during Operation Bluestar on June 6, 1984.
In 2003, the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) had declared Bhindranwale a “martyr”. (ANI)
- Amarinder opposes Operation Bluestar memorial - Jun 05, 2012
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
- Punjab at crossroads: Sikh clergy gives in to radical rhetoric (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 08, 2012
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Shivraj Patil visits Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh - Jan 28, 2010
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Sikh radicals to hold 'genocide march' in Amritsar (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Radical Sikhs to take out 'genocide march' in Amritsar - Jun 02, 2009
- A walk into Jallianwala Bagh on 66th Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Sikh organisations to mark 25 years of Operation Bluestar - May 24, 2009
- 25 years later: Sikhs have neither forgotten nor forgiven Indira Gandhi - Oct 25, 2009
- Inspired by Hazare, Amritsar residents pay tribute to Jallainwala Bagh martyrs - Apr 13, 2011
- Avtar Singh Makkar re-elected SGPC chief - Nov 16, 2010
- Punjab cabinet prays at Amritsar shrines - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: bhindranwale, congress party, golden temple, jallianwala bagh massacre, lal singh, ludhiana, manmohan, manmohan singh, martyr, operation bluestar, politician, prime minster, punjab, sgpc, sikhs, state government, union home minister