Somali pirates release 16 IndianMarch 22nd, 2009 - 12:25 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Mar 22 (ANI): An Indian ship, which was hijacked off the coast of Somalia, has been released today, by the pirates.
The ship had 16 Indians onboard. No harm was caused by the pirates to Indians on board the vessel.
The ship was hijacked on March 21,while it was travelling between Dubai and Mogadishu carrying rice, refined oil, wheat and general cargo.
According to sources, the coalition forces and the Indian Navy vessel operating in Gulf of Aden were informed about the incident and were asked to provide assistance.
Earlier, the MT Stolt Valor, with 22 crewmembers including 18 Indians, was hijacked by a group of Somali pirates off the Yemen coast on September 15, 2008 while it was bound for Mumbai from the Suez Canal.
The pirates took the Japanese-owned vessel to the Somali coast and demanded a ransom of six million dollars. They released the ship on November 16 after reportedly collecting 2.5 million dollars from the ship’’s owners. (ANI)
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Captain of hijacked Japanese ship returns with crew members - Nov 25, 2008
- Mumbai gives warm welcome to rRescued Stolt Valor crew - Nov 24, 2008
- Four Stolt Valor sailors return to India - Nov 24, 2008
- Stolt Valor crewmen return to India, say were not tortured (Lead) - Nov 24, 2008
- Freed merchant vessel crew safely proceeding to Oman: Government - Jun 15, 2011
- Bangladesh loses communication with hijacked ship - Dec 07, 2010
- Somali pirates want Indian hostages swapped with jailed colleagues - Apr 16, 2011
- Stolt Valor captain, crew members return home - Nov 25, 2008
- Two-month ordeal was nightmare: Stolt Valor captain (Lead) - Nov 18, 2008
- Somali pirates hijack Yemeni cargo ship, demand ransom (Lead) - Nov 25, 2008
- Indian seafarers reach Mumbai after being released by Somali pirates - Feb 18, 2010
- 'Six Indians aboard hijacked Panamanian ship' - Aug 23, 2010
- German-owned vessel released from pirate control released - Apr 14, 2011
- Indian Navy abandons escort of freed vessel (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: 5 million, coalition forces, general cargo, gulf of aden, indian navy, indian ship, indians, march 21, million dollars, mogadishu, mumbai, navy vessel, ransom, refined oil, somali coast, somali pirates, stolt, suez, suez canal, wheat