Somali pirates hijacked 174 merchant vessels in last 3 years: AntonyMarch 14th, 2011 - 9:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 14 (ANI): Defence Minister A K Antony on Monday informed that a total of 174 merchant vessels have been hijacked by Somali pirates in the last three years.
“As per International Maritime Bureau (IMB) the number of ships hijacked from January 14, 2008 till March 11 this year is 174. Piracy on the Somalian coast is a global menace and has in recent times moved eastwards as well as southward,” said Antony in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
The Defence Minister further informed the House that the Indian Navy and Coast Guard in a recent joint operation intercepted two hijacked vessels of Thai origin in January and February 2011.
“Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) are regularly deployed for surveillance on the Indian coast,” he said.
The Indian Navy earlier today intercepted a pirate mother ship Vega 5, 600 nautical miles off the country’s west coast and arrested 61 pirates. (ANI)
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Larger deployment of forces will prevent pirate attacks: Navy Chief - Jan 31, 2011
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- Another piracy attempt foiled, 16 pirates held - Mar 27, 2011
- Combating piracy is top most priority of Indian Navy, Coast Guard: Antony - Feb 07, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 12, 2010
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Hostages rescued from Somali pirates say they were threatened, tortured - Mar 16, 2011
- Somali pirates links with terror groups being interrogated - Jan 31, 2011
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- No military offensive to free Indian sailors: Antony - Mar 03, 2011
- Another menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Feb 06, 2011
- Menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Jan 29, 2011
- No hot pursuit of Somali pirates: India - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: 3 years, antony, coast guard, defence minister, global menace, indian navy, international maritime bureau, Lok Sabha, march 11, merchant vessels, mother ship, nautical miles, New Delhi, piracy, pirate, somali pirates, somalian, unmanned aerial vehicles, vega, west coast