Soldier killed in militant fire in KashmirMay 3rd, 2012 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 3 (IANS) A soldier was killed when militants fired at an army patrol in a mountainous, forested area of Kishtwar district in Jammu and Kashmir, police said Thursday.
A senior police official said an army patrol of 159 Territorial Army was on duty in Kulna Palmar areas of Kishtwar district, about 250 km northeast of Jammu, late Wednesday. The patrol party suddenly came under fire from militants hiding in the area.
A soldier, Noor Mohammad, died in the firing, police said.
The patrol party returned the fire but “the militants managed to escape”, police said. The hand of top Hizbul Mujahideen militant Jehangir Saroori is suspected in the incident.
This is the second army casualty in Kishtwar district in the past three days. Rakesh Kumar, a soldier, was killed in firing by militants April 30.
- Delhi blast mastermind trapped in Kishtwar? - Nov 15, 2011
- Hindu commander of Hizbul killed in Jammu - Jul 27, 2011
- Delhi court blast accused killed in Kishtwar (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Delhi court blast accused killed in Kishtwar - Aug 06, 2012
- Hizbul commander killed in gunfight - Jul 26, 2011
- Two LeT militants killed in shootout - Feb 26, 2012
- LeT militant killed in a shootout - May 21, 2012
- NIA to quiz jailed Hizbul linkman in Delhi blast - Sep 28, 2011
- Delhi court blast accused killed in Kishtwar (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- 12-year-old boy killed in grenade attack in Kishtwar - May 08, 2012
- Militant, two security men killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Two soldiers killed in Jammu and Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2010
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
- Hizbul guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Nov 17, 2011
- How do I mourn, asks father of Hizb's Hindu commander - Jul 28, 2011