Soldier absconding with Service weapons in KashmirMarch 8th, 2009 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 8 (IANS) An Indian Army soldier Sunday deserted his unit and took away with him at least two Service weapons in a mountainous district in Jammu and Kashmir.
According to the police, Zafar Ullah, a soldier with 169 Territorial Army posted in 8 Rashtriya Rifles in Doda district, ran away with two rifles. Zafar is a local from the district.
“The army has reported the matter and we are jointly conducting searches to catch the absconder,” said a police officer.
The police said the army was conducting the audit of its weapons and it was not clear whether the soldier ran away with two or three weapons.
The police said it was verifying a report that Zafar’s brother was a Hizbul Mujahideen militant.
Meanwhile, one army soldier, identified as Atul Kumar of same 8 RR, committed suicide in Doda Sunday by shooting himself with his Service rifle. The army said that it has ordered court of inquiry to ascertain reason for the act.
- Two militants killed near Jammu - Nov 28, 2010
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
- Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir - Jul 10, 2012
- Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Apr 03, 2011
- Security forces kill top Hizbul Mujahideen commander in Doda - Mar 08, 2010
- Soldier killed in militant fire in Kashmir - May 03, 2012
- Hindu commander of Hizbul killed in Jammu - Jul 27, 2011
- Territorial Army soldier feared to have joined Lashkar in Doda - Mar 09, 2009
- Top Hizbul militant killed in Kashmir gunfight - Mar 02, 2011
- Hizbul Mujaheedin militant surrenders in Rajouri - Sep 30, 2010
- Two militants shot dead in Doda - Dec 16, 2009
- Militant, two security men killed in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Two Lashkar militants surrender in Doda - Aug 23, 2010
- Hizbul militant killed in Doda - Aug 05, 2009