Solar-assisted bicycle to give riders extra pedal powerSeptember 26th, 2008 - 4:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, September 26 (ANI): Scientists have invented a solar-assisted bicycle that gives riders extra pedal power.
According to a report in the Times, the bicycle, called a Cycle Sol, has been invented by Miroslav Miljevic, 40, as an eco-friendly form of transport.
The bright yellow device operates like a normal pedal cycle but has a canopy lined with solar cells overhead.
When the user pedals in the sunshine the rays charge a battery that powers an electric motor in the back wheel, propelling the bike at speeds of up to 15mph. It also lowers the resistance in pedalling to make it easier to go up hills.
Miljevic, a London-based designer, said that the motor can be fully charged while the bike is chained up outside on a sunny day. When the sun is not shining, the bike can be charged by mains electricity.
The Cycle Sol is in the concept stage, but Miljevic hopes to be able to mass-produce it once he has found a manufacturer.
According to Miljevic, It is just like an electric bike but the motor runs on a battery powered by solar energy. You can leave it outside the office during the day to top up the rechargeable, ready for the ride home.
These days solar cells are pretty good at picking up the lowest amount of light so it should still work when the skies are cloudy, he added.
The handlebars are positioned on either side of the seat so you can lean back for a comfortable ride, said Miljevic. And if the worst happens and it rains, the roof will keep you dry, he added. (ANI)
- 'Copenhagen Wheel' bicycle uses peddlers' energy to zoom uphill - Aug 20, 2010
- TI Cycles pedalling up the value chain - Mar 25, 2011
- Bike test accurate key to Parkinson's diagnosis - Jan 07, 2011
- Bicycle-powered Christmas tree lighted in Mexico - Nov 28, 2011
- Japanese company unveils new range of 'green' bikes - Mar 08, 2010
- Riding a bike is extremely complicated, say scientists - Jun 22, 2010
- The top five 'green' gifts for Father's Day - Jun 20, 2009
- Cutting edge battery to store solar, wind energy - Nov 27, 2011
- Magic powder can make electric bikes run on urine - Oct 06, 2010
- New solar cell technology boosts efficiency of photovoltaics - Apr 30, 2011
- Scientists create hair thin solar cells - Apr 10, 2012
- Bangalore firm develops portable solar power generator - Apr 09, 2012
- China opens largest electric car-charging station - Jan 30, 2012
- Now a car with inbuilt electric scooter - May 05, 2010
- Bieber presented with a $100,000 electric car - Mar 02, 2012