Sohrabuddin case: CBI court adjourns Shah’s bail plea till Sept 9September 7th, 2010 - 10:28 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, Sep 7 (ANI): The special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) here on Tuesday adjourned the hearing on the bail application of former Gujarat Home Minister Amit Shah, who has been arrested in connection with the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, till September 9.
Special CBI Judge P P Bhatt adjourned the matter after counsels from both the sides sought more time as their senior counsels were not present for the hearing today.
Earlier on September 3, Shah asked the Supreme Court to recall its verdict for a Central CBI probe on the grounds of ‘prejudice’, and levelled allegations of corruption against its judge and the Central Government.
In the 87-page application moved by Shah, he alleged that Justice Tarun Chatterjee, who was part of the Bench that had handed over the investigation to the CBI on July 12, was himself under the scanner of the investigating agency for his involvement in the Uttar Pradesh provident fund scam.
Shah’s application in the apex court also questioned the propriety of Justice Aftab Alam considering the fact that he was aware that Justice Chatterjee’s name figured in the provident fund scam.
The application prepared under the guidance of noted criminal lawyer Ram Jethmalani has also put forward the points, which are almost similar to those raised by senior Gujarat Police officer Geeta Johri.
Johri had accused the CBI of pressurising her to implicate some political leaders, including Shah, in connection with the case.
In a curative petition filed with the apex court, she sought the removal of Balwinder Singh, CBI’s Special Director, who is supervising the investigation into the case.
She alleged she had been asked by the CBI to depose in a particular manner in the case and that her personal assistant was threatened by the CBI.
The CBI has charged Shah with murder, abduction, extortion and conspiracy. On July 23, it produced a 30,000-page charge-sheet implicating Shah in the case.
Shah was interrogated over three days in jail in mid August, but the CBI said he did not cooperate and has denied any involvement in the case.
The Supreme Court on January 12 has handed over the investigation of the case to the CBI asking it to place before it the report on the progress of the probe within six months by July 31.
Sohrabuddin and his wife Kausar Bi were killed in an alleged fake encounter in 2005. (ANI)
- Sohrabuddin case: Hearing on Amit Shah's bail plea adjourned till Sept. 16 - Sep 09, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Shah wants Supreme Court to recall CBI probe - Sep 03, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: CBI plea against Amit Shah bail in Supreme Court - Dec 14, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Gujarat HC to decide on Amit Shah's fate - Oct 29, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Amit Shah heads for Mumbai on Supreme Court's orders - Oct 31, 2010
- CBI moves petition before Supreme Court against Amit Shah - Oct 30, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Amit Shah gets bail - Oct 29, 2010
- Sohrabuddin fake encounter case: CBI asks SC to transfer case to Mumbai - Nov 25, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Geeta Johri accuses CBI of pressurising her - Aug 28, 2010
- Strong proof against 13 cops in Sohrabuddin killing: Shah (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Sohrabuddin case: Ahmedabad court adjourns hearing till August 10 - Aug 03, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Amit Shah's bail hearing today - Aug 17, 2010
- Former Gujarat minister Shah's bail plea adjourned - Aug 30, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Shah opposes apex court's CBI probe order - Nov 24, 2011
- Sohrabuddin case: Amit Shah's bail hearing deferred till August 30 - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: aftab, amit shah, apex court, bail plea, cbi court, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chatterjee, criminal lawyer, extortion, gujarat police, home minister, investigating agency, p bhatt, page application, personal assistant, provident fund, ram jethmalani, sohrabuddin sheikh, tarun