Soccer fever grips KeralaJune 10th, 2008 - 9:18 pm ICT by ANI
Calicut (Kerala), June 10 (ANI): As the Euro 2008 fever fast grip the world, its heat is being felt in Kerala, where football lovers gather in large numbers at public places to watch their favourite teams and players performing on big screens.
Football fans especially in the coastal areas of Kozhikode District have been caught up in frenzy.
People of all age gather at the centre points where huge projectors and television sets are mounted and watch their favourite teams.
In Kerala, the tradition of football started long time ago and has prominence in Kozhikode, Talasherry, Mallapuram and Kannur districts.
It turned out to be the most popular game in the State.
The mushrooming of clubs is the reason for the passion in the game around the coastal belts where most of the enthusiasts are professionally engaged in fishing.
Nynanvalap Football Fans Association (NFFA) is one such club, which started conducting beach soccer matches in 1996. The club has received various items from the official sponsors of Europe Cup 2008.
The clubs conduct coaching camps every year to identify new talents and groom them in the basics of the game. The expenses are met by conducting Sevens’ football tournaments.
Some of the clubs get sponsorship from various firms in the city. Non-resident Keralites from these areas also make handsome contributions to football clubs. (ANI)
- Kannur airport nod in view of Keralites' contribution: Patel - Dec 17, 2010
- Foundation stone for Kannur airport to be laid Dec 17 - Nov 20, 2010
- Kerala budgets didn't do justice to NRIs, says Issac (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- Prime accused in Chandrasekharan murder case held - Jun 07, 2012
- Involve NRKs in Kerala's development: Vayalar Ravi - Feb 12, 2011
- Kannur has most of Kerala's sensitive polling booths - Apr 11, 2011
- Revamped I-League has to be pan-Indian, says Bhutia - Feb 25, 2012
- Kerala to offer investment options to NRKs: Chandy - May 16, 2011
- Minister denies Kannur airport stake allotment - Dec 14, 2010
- Kerala to lease out land to private IT developers - Aug 13, 2012
- Chandy seeks waiver for quick launch of Air Kerala - Sep 13, 2012
- Kerala approves medical college (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Kerala readies for next round of migration study - May 25, 2012
- Kerala to form panels to protect workers in Middle East - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: beach soccer, belts, coastal areas, enthusiasts, euro 2008, football clubs, football fans, football lovers, football tournaments, frenzy, kannur, keralites, large numbers, new talents, nffa, projectors, prominence, soccer fever, sponsorship, television sets