Snowfall on Amarnath track hits clearance operationJune 8th, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 8 (IANS) Track clearance operation to the Amarnath cave shrine is facing problems due to fresh snowfall along the 37-km route in south Kashmir.
Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra, who is also chairman of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), Friday reviewed the track clearance and positioning of various requirements at the base camps of the annual pilgrimage, which begins June 25.
“The special review meeting was convened after receipt of reports from SASB and district administration officers about the difficulties being faced due to intermittent rains and continuous bad weather encountered in the last few days in the entire yatra area”, an SASB statement said.
It said the board officials expressed concern over the pace of work on the ground because of the repeated and prolonged interruptions due to frequent spells of heavy rains and fresh snow.
“On the Chandanwari-Mahagunas Top and the Panjtarni axis of the yatra track, there is snow accumulation of 18 feet at 15, 16 and 17 km. Fresh snowfall on June 6 and 7 has adversely affected work in the yatra area,” it added.
The meeting also took note of the meteorological department report which has forecast rain and thunder showers in the area between June 9 and 13.
“Recognising the prevailing weather and the forecast for the coming days, the governor directed that urgent necessary steps be taken to hasten the work progress by extending the working shifts, to ensure that track clearance and other yatra related arrangement targets are achieved by the envisaged dates,” the statement said.
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- No delay in June 25 start of Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Heavy rains halt Amarnath pilgrimage - Jul 08, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage unlikely to start June 29 - Jun 17, 2011
- Three lakh pilgrims register for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: administration officers, amarnath cave, bad weather, base camps, board officials, district administration, fresh snow, heavy rains, intermittent rains, jammu and kashmir, meteorological department, rain and thunder, sasb, shrine board, snow accumulation, snowfall, south kashmir, vohra, work progress, working shifts