Snowfall in north Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freezeJanuary 9th, 2011 - 11:47 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 9 (IANS) There was light snowfall in some areas of north Kashmir Sunday as the cold wave marginally abated in the valley, but the freeze continued in the Ladakh region with Leh at a biting minus 13 degrees Celsius.The ski resort of Gulmarg, Kupwara, Handwara and a few other places saw light snowfall in the morning and another cold wave is expected in the Valley in the coming days, said R.L. Pandita, assistant director of the weather office here.
“Light rain or snowfall is expected till Monday in the Valley after which we are in for another spell of cold and dry weather,” Pandita said.
The minimum temperature recorded in summer capital Srinagar was minus 0.1 degrees Celsius, the official said.
“It was minus 2 degrees in south Kashmir Qazigund town, minus 9 in Pahalgam hill station and minus 7.7 degrees in Gulmarg,” Pandita said.
“The Ladakh region continues to reel under intense cold wave conditions. The minimum temperature was minus 13 degrees Celsius both in Leh and Kargil towns today (Sunday,” The official added.
Authorities, meanwhile allowed one-way traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway due to the improvement in the weather in south Kashmir areas.
“After 10 a.m., vehicles will be allowed to move from Srinagar to Jammu on the highway,” a traffic department official said here.
The highway was closed Saturday evening due to fresh snowfall in the Jawahar tunnel area of the road.
- Kashmir and Ladakh in deep freeze, Leh coldest at minus 22 - Jan 23, 2012
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Chilly winds add to bitter cold in Kashmir - Jan 17, 2011
- Severe cold wave in Kashmir - Jan 18, 2012
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Leh in deep freeze at minus 20 degrees, Srinagar at minus 4.6 - Jan 24, 2011
- Slight respite from chill in Kashmir, snowfall likely - Jan 12, 2011
- Kashmir Valley in cold grip, Leh minus 11.4 - Jan 22, 2011
- Mercury rises but Kashmir still freezing - Dec 29, 2011
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Fresh snowfall in Kashmir, Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Jan 14, 2011
- Srinagar warmer at minus 2.2 degrees, expects snowfall - Jan 07, 2011
- Marginal improvement in Kashmir weather - Dec 29, 2010
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Chill continues in Kashmir, snow and rain likely - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: assistant director, authorities, cold wave, dry weather, jawahar tunnel, kashmir, kashmir ladakh, ladakh region, light rain, light snowfall, minimum temperature, north kashmir, saturday evening, ski resort, south kashmir, traffic department, tunnel area, wave conditions, weather office