Snowfall in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal, Uttarkhand intensifies cold in north IndiaJanuary 4th, 2009 - 8:15 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Jan.4 (ANI): Moderate to heavy snowfall in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand have intensified the cold wave conditions in north India on Sunday.
About one-and-a-half feet of snow was recorded in the high altitude areas of Kashmir Valley including Baltal and Drass on Srinagar-Leh national highway since Saturday evening.
The Gulmarg ski resort received fresh snow of four to five feet.
In Jammu, three people have died of severe cold in Bharat, Gangyal and Gandhi Nagar localities, police said. The minimum temperature recorded in Sri Nagar was 0.2 degrees Celsius.
Meanwhile, the famous Sri Vaishno Devi temple, located in Trikuta hills near Jammu, has experienced its first snowfall of the season. However, the yatra to
the shrine went on uninterrupted.
On Saturday, Shimla’’s wait for snow ended during night while rains lashed the lower areas of Himachal Pradesh, sending the mercury down by several notches.
With three persons in Jammu and Kashmir and at least 12 persons succumbing to cold in Uttar Pradesh have taken the death toll to 46.
The weather conditions promptied closure of schools even as thick fog disrupted road, train and air traffic, giving commuters a harrowing time. Poor visibility due to fog caused a goods train to hit a stationary train in Kanpur on Sunday morning. It disrupted traffic on the Delhi-Howrah stretch.(ANI)
- A day of rain, snow in northern India - Jan 06, 2012
- Biting cold thaws a little, but fog disrupts travel (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- North India reels under cold onslaught (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Fog derails train services as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Dec 22, 2011
- North India reels under severe cold, dense fog (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- Tourists flock to Srinagar, Shimla to enjoy first snowfall - Dec 31, 2010
- Deaths, accidents as cold wave grips north India (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Cold Wave continues unabated across North India (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2012
- Some respite from chill, train services still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- 400 trapped civilians rescued in J&K; - Jun 09, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Chill tightens grip over north India, trains still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2011
- Srinagar-Leh highway reopened after six months - May 02, 2011
Tags: cold wave, drass, first snowfall, fresh snow, gandhi nagar, gulmarg ski resort, high altitude, himachal pradesh, jammu and kashmir, minimum temperature, north india, poor visibility, road train, srinagar, thick fog, uttarakhand, vaishno devi temple, wave conditions, weather conditions, yatra