Snowfall in Gulmarg cheers visiting touristsOctober 17th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
By Parvez Butt
Gulmarg, Oct.16 (ANI): The unexpected snowfall in mid-October has taken meteorologists and residents here by surprise but the visiting tourists, especially the adventure sports enthusiasts, are having a gala time.
Tourists in Gulmarg are cheerful on being greeted by the white flakes.
“We are extremely happy that we were present here at the right time. It’’s for the first time that we are witnessing snowfall. Truly it’’s ecstatic,” said Shiv Shankar, a tourist.
The peak season for snowfall is generally witnessed between December and April.
This is the first snowfall of the season, nearly a month ahead of the usual mid-November, which heralds the onset of winter.
Heavy snowfall over the upper reaches and rains in the plains, cold wave conditions have intensified in the valley region. Snowfall has upset normal life in Srinagar.
“It’’s a beautiful feeling to be in the heart of Kashmir and feeling the white cold flakes creeping on your skin, it is for the first time that I am enjoying snowfall and it’’s wonderful,” said Ramesh, another tourist.
However, the 300 kilometres long Srinagar-Jammu and 434 kilometres long Srinagar- Leh national highways have remained open despite heavy rains at several places.
A weather report from world famous ski resort of Gulmarg said upper reaches in the entire sector had received snowfall.
Gulmarg, which means meadow of flowers, is a hill station in Baramula District Jammu and Kashmir. (ANI)
- Srinagar gets season's first snowfall (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- A day of rain, snow in northern India - Jan 06, 2012
- Chill continues in Kashmir, snow and rain likely - Jan 28, 2011
- Severe cold wave in Kashmir - Jan 18, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Cold Wave continues unabated across North India (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2012
- Srinagar's night temperature rises above freezing point - Feb 03, 2012
- Tourists flock to Srinagar, Shimla to enjoy first snowfall - Dec 31, 2010
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
- Kashmir still shivers, Gulmarg coldest at minus 10 - Feb 10, 2011
- Snowfall in north Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freeze - Jan 09, 2011
- Heavy snowfall lashes Kashmir - Jan 15, 2012
- Gulmarg weaves its magic around tourists (With images) - Apr 03, 2011
- The white hills of Gulmarg rock back to glory (With Image) - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: adventure sports, beautiful feeling, cold wave, first snowfall, gala time, heavy rains, heavy snowfall, jammu, meteorologists, national highways, onset of winter, peak season, sports enthusiasts, srinagar, time tourists, unexpected snowfall, upper reaches, wave conditions, weather report, world famous ski resort