Snowfall holds up trek of nomadic tribesApril 13th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 13 (IANS) Heavy snowfall in the mountainous ranges in Jammu and Kashmir last month has delayed by at least a month the annual trek of the nomadic tribes of Gujjars and Bakerwals, who usually lead their cattle to the upper reaches of the Himalayas by this time of the year.
The snowfall has damaged the hilly tracks that Gujjars and Bakerwals along with their sheep and buffaloes take to the upper reaches for summers to let their cattle graze in the high-altitude pastures.
“There is an urgent need to repair those tracks,” said Javaid Rahi, a senior functionary at Tribal Research and Cultural Foundation.
The foundation works on the issues confronting the Gujjar and Bakerwal community in Jammu and Kashmir, which constitutes 20 percent of the 11 million population of the state. The nomads are concentrated in the border belt of Rajouri, Poonch, plains of Jammu and Kupwara, Baramulla, Anantnag and Ganderbal districts in the Valley.
The state’s forest minister Mian Altaf Ahmad, himself a Gujjar, is expected to soon take up the issue of the repair of these tracks. “We are aware of this problem,” he told IANS.
The delay would make it difficult for the nomads to get fodder for their cattle, said Javaid Rahi. But they would be able to vote in larger numbers as most of them are registered as voters in their winter abodes.
- Off the road: Kashmir's nomads settling down (Feature) - Nov 04, 2011
- Kashmir's welfare scheme for nomadic Gujjars - Jul 23, 2012
- Kashmir nomads want access to pastures close to LoC - Aug 28, 2011
- Food, fodder dropped for Kashmir's snow-trapped nomads - Jun 02, 2010
- Gujjars for national model to rehabilitate Kashmir tribes - Jan 16, 2011
- Kashmir government to urge Gojri's recognition as official language - Jun 05, 2012
- Gujjars demand steps for protecting Jirga system in Kashmir - Sep 19, 2011
- Journey of Kashmir's nomads coming to end? (Feature) - Aug 31, 2009
- Trapped Jammu-Kashmir Gujjars seek Govt.'s urgent help - May 30, 2010
- Hot March leads Kashmir shepherds to early migration - Mar 28, 2010
- Our tribal property being razed say Kashmiri Gujjars - Aug 16, 2009
- Nomadic Gujjars seek rights over forests in Kashmir - Nov 10, 2009
- Indigenous animal species grazed by nomadic Gujjars dying out - May 31, 2009
- Army donates blankets, sleeping bags to nomadic tribes - Jul 17, 2012
- Paharis and Gujjars fight over rights - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: altaf, anantnag, buffaloes, cultural foundation, fodder, forest minister, gujjar, gujjars, heavy snowfall, high altitude, himalayas, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mian, mountainous ranges, nomadic tribes, nomads, poonch, tribal research, upper reaches