Snowfall brings cheer apple growers in Himachal PradeshJanuary 10th, 2009 - 8:15 pm ICT by ANI
Kothi (Himachal Pradesh), Jan.10 (ANI): Pushing down temperatures, the recent snowfall here has brought a smile back on the faces of apple growers.
Confident about securing a bumper apple crop in the upcoming season, the farmers say that the timely snowfall is a boon for them.
The apple trees are dormant and require chilling conditions less than seven degree Celsius for a month.
“Snowfall is like a boon for us farmers, for good apple cultivation we require 1400 to 1600 chilling hours. And, this first snowfall is more beneficial for apple trees, as it protects the tree from all sorts of diseases. We hope for more snowfall,” said Dunni Ram, a farmer of Ghoshal village in the upper Manali region.
However apple growers in the upper region of state have finished their orchards work like pruning and applying manure to apple trees.
Horticulture experts are also taking snow fall in a positive manner. According to many of the officials recent snow fall would be helpful for the required chilling hours for apple cultivation. Temperature plays very important role in cultivation of apple trees. Fresh snow fall would be helpful against harmful bacteria and fungus.
“Six hundred to fifteen hundred chilling hours are required for good apple cultivation, till now chilling requirements has been met to certain extent because of snowfall. If temperature will remain below seven degree Celsius for around one month then only apple will grow at a rapid spree,” said Prem Singh Dogra, District Horticulture Officer, Kullu, Himachal Pradesh Government.
Himachal Pradesh gets more than 2500 crore revenue from fruits and vegetables and Apple play a major role in it. There are more than seventy percent of people in Himachal Pradesh directly or indirectly linked with production and marketing of apples. (ANI)
- Snow cheers apple growers in Himachal - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Extended chill may upset Himachal's applecart - Apr 16, 2011
- Snow brightens apple prospects in Himachal - Feb 24, 2010
- Record cherry pick expected from Himachal - Apr 25, 2010
- Cold Wave continues unabated across North India (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2012
- Himachal shivers, rains cheer fruit growers - Dec 07, 2011
- Snowfall raises hopes of good apple harvest in Himachal - Jan 07, 2009
- Heavy snowfall in Himachal throws life out of gear but cheers fruit farmers (Lead) (With Images) - Jan 09, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Fresh snow in Himachal - Apr 11, 2012
- Dry weather affects apple farming in Kullu - Dec 26, 2010
- Extended chill hits Himachal's cherry production - May 30, 2011
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Kashmir farmers expect bumper cherry production in 2010 - May 15, 2010
Tags: apple crop, apple growers, apple trees, boon, cultivation temperature, degree celsius, dogra, first snowfall, fresh snow, fruits and vegetables, fungus, good apple, harmful bacteria, horticulture, manure, more than seventy, orchards, prem, recent snow, snow fall