Snow Festival in Gulmarg attracts tourists in large numbersFebruary 5th, 2009 - 12:02 pm ICT by ANI
Gulmarg, Feb 5 (ANI): Tourists are thronging Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir state to take part in the annual Snow Festival.
The Snow Festival involving a number of events like snow cycling, ice hockey and snow rugby kick-started on Tuesday.
The festival was inaugurated by Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Minister Nawan Rigzin Jora. “As far as the games are concerned, there are plenty of games like ice skating, ice hockey, rugby, cycling and other small events. The motto of the festival is to tell people that Gulmarg has a good snowfall,” said Shabir Ahmed, co-ordinator, Snow Festival.
The tourists from various parts of India have arrived in Gulmarg to participate in snow sports.
Tourists from the plains are thrilled to see the snowfall, some of them experiencing it for the first time.
“We are feeling very nice. We have a very good infrastructure. There is plenty of snowfall too,” said Reyaz Ahmed, a participant in event of snow cycling. The Snow Festival that was earlier scheduled to be held during the Christmas vacation was postponed on account of the elections to the State legislature.
Meanwhile, the officials of Jammu and Kashmir Tourism have planned special campaigns to promote Gulmarg as a global winter tourism destination.
Gulmarg, a bowl shaped plateau at an altitude of 8,500 ft in Pir Panjal of the Himalayan range is a favourite destination for tourists to participate in winter sports. (ANI)
- Plethora of winter sports at Kashmir snow carnival - Feb 03, 2009
- Snow cycling, a new favorite sport in Kashmir - Feb 23, 2011
- Winter carnival begins in snow-covered Gulmarg (Lead) - Feb 03, 2009
- Kashmir sees record tourists, hundreds more for New Year - Dec 31, 2010
- The white hills of Gulmarg rock back to glory (With Image) - Jan 03, 2012
- Rock climbing wall inaugurated in Srinagar - Sep 05, 2012
- J-K govt. organizes snow football game to boost tourism - Apr 16, 2011
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Music, adventure and more at Gulmarg Winter Festival - Feb 28, 2012
- Gulmarg weaves its magic around tourists (With images) - Apr 03, 2011
- Gulmarg rated Asia's seventh best ski resort - Nov 26, 2010
- Foreign skiers crowd Manali slopes - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Record tourist arrival in Kashmir is peace dividend' - Mar 26, 2012
- Motor rally to boost adventure tourism - Jun 25, 2010
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: altitude, christmas vacation, co ordinator, gulmarg, himalayan range, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir tourism, kashmir, large numbers, motto, pir panjal, plateau, snow festival, snow sports, snowfall, state legislature, tourism destination, tourism minister, winter sports, winter tourism