SNC Lavalin graft case: Kerala Governor sanctions CBI probe of VijayanJune 7th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram/New Delhi, June.7 (ANI): Kerala Governor R S Gavai on Sunday gave sanction to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to prosecute Communist Party of India (Marxist) State Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan in connection with his involvement in the sensitive SNC Lavalin graft case.
The Governor’s sanction came despite the state government’s recommendation not to give permission to prosecute Vijayan, holding that there was not enough evidence against the Marxist leader.
The Government had made its recommendation based on the legal opinion of state Advocate General that there was no evidence to prosecute Vijayan.
The CBI, however, stuck to its position that there were enough grounds to prosecute him. CBI Additional Superintendent of Police Premkumar received the letter from Governor, giving sanction to prosecute Vijayan, the Central agency sources said.
The case pertained to alleged corruption and irregularities in awarding contract for renovation of three hydro-electric projects — Panniyanr, Chenkulam and Pallivasal — to Canadian firm SNC Lavalin when Vijayan was Power Minister in 1998.
The CBI, which probed the case, had found irregularities in awarding the contract and wanted to arraign Vijayan as ninth accused in the case.
The agency had also stated that the contract had resulted in huge loss to the state exchequer. The CPI (M) has all along taken the position that the case was politically motivated. (ANI)
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Kerala governor's decision not surprising: Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- CBI asks Pinarayi Vijayan to appear in court Sept 24 - Aug 21, 2009
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- Supreme Court issues notices to CBI, Kerala Govt on Vijayan case - Aug 31, 2009
- CBI gets nod to prosecute Vijayan, CPI-M to fight case (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Governor to take decision on SNC Lavalin graft case - May 12, 2009
- Kerala governor gives nod to prosecute Vijayan - Jun 07, 2009
- Apex court admits Vijayan's case - Aug 31, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- Kerala opposition demands Vijayan's prosecution - May 02, 2009
- Congress-led UDF calls for shutdown in Kerala over Pinarayi clean chit - May 07, 2009
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- Opposition meets Kerala governor, wants Lavalin case speeded up - Mar 27, 2009
Tags: advocate general, agency sources, alleged corruption, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, electric projects, graft case, hydro electric, legal opinion, marxist leader, pinarayi vijayan, power minister, premkumar, snc lavalin, state advocate, state exchequer, state secretary, thiruvananthapuram