Snakes, a major theme at Tripura Durga Puja PandalNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:28 am ICT by admin
Hundreds of snakes belonging to different species have been put on display at the Pandal in the makeshift temple in glass containers to sensitise people about them.
“We have displayed snakes this time because around 60 per cent of the snakes are non-venomous and only 40 percent are poisonous. But whenever we see a snake we are tempted to kill it. So, we have decided to take snake as the theme of our Puja Pandal. Through it, we are making an attempt to save this beautiful creature,” said Debasish Sil, secretary of the Santikami Sangha Club.
The idea to have snakes as the theme was inspired by conservationists who want to make people aware that only a small number of snakes are venomous.
The devotees and visitors have been keen to know about snakes.
“I have come here to see these snakes. The Pandal has many snakes. I get to see them from a close distance,” said Ankita Das, one of the visitors.
Devotees are being informed about the lives of snakes. It is hoped the effort would result in clearing myths about snakes. (ANI)
- 100 pandals, galaxy of stars - Mumbai ready for Durga Puja - Sep 30, 2011
- Durga Puja fervour grips north Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
- Durga Puja fervor grips Delhi - Oct 02, 2011
- Lucknow gets Tagore's house replica for Durga Puja - Oct 01, 2011
- Durga Puja celebrations begin in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- Durga Puja organisers send out a green message - Sep 29, 2010
- Hopping from Germany to galaxy to Kashmir at Puja pandals - Sep 18, 2011
- Durga Puja begins in Kolkata - Sep 24, 2009
- Now, an all India guide map on snakes - Mar 15, 2012
- Sea of humanity throngs Bengal streets on Mahashtami (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Kolkata's Durga Puja marquees - innovative works of art - Sep 25, 2009
- Special arrangements to draw devotees at Durga Puja Pandals - Sep 26, 2009
- Durga Puja reaches its peak with Mahashtami - Oct 15, 2010
- Bangalore pays tribute to Rabindranath Tagore during Durga Puja - Oct 16, 2010
- For many Kolkata celebs, home is where Durga Puja is - Oct 12, 2010