Snake catching training for fire fighters in OrissaNovember 8th, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Nov 8(ANI): Fire fighters of Bhubaneswar in Orissa are all set to undergo an extensive training for catching snakes in the wake of a rise in the population of reptiles.
The trainees would be taught to locate the snakes, catch them and how to manage first aid on the outset of snakebite. They would also be taught on how to differentiate between poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.
The programme include making them aware of the menace caused by the snakebite, different kinds of snakebites and their effects.
Subhendu Mallick, a trainer from Snake Helpline Centre who will be imparting the training to the fire fighters, said that the trainees showed great spirit to get near the snakes during their training regime.
“We provided a general information about the snakes and how to provide proper first aid after a snake bite. We also taught them how to rescue snakes without harming them,” Mallick said.
The trainees will also undergo a strict training regime in dense forests of the region, where different kinds of snakes are found.
“Our aim is to make the 400 trainees aware of the reptiles. After the training programme, they would be asked to rescue snakes in emergency situations and leave them back in the forests,” said Sukant Sethi, Principal of the Fire Brigade Training Centre.
He also added that this would help in environment conservation and build the confidence of the fire fighters. (ANI)
- Cobra rescued from premises of Odisha secretariat - Mar 03, 2012
- Snake Murugan of Coimbatore - Dec 10, 2009
- This snake helpline helps humans and snakes alike - Nov 10, 2009
- Now, an all India guide map on snakes - Mar 15, 2012
- Chennai's 100-year-old Guindy Snake Park in modernization mode - Jun 30, 2010
- Snake slithers into school bag in Orissa - Feb 14, 2011
- Women, teenage girls undergo martial arts training in Noida - Nov 28, 2010
- Snake bites deputy marshal of Orissa assembly - Jul 26, 2009
- CRPF jawans in Srinagar undergo training to rescue people stuck in avalanches - Feb 27, 2011
- Workshop on 'natural disasters' rescue course in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 27, 2010
- Uttarakhand Govt. starts disaster management training program - Dec 12, 2010
- 'Punish Thane man for illegally possessing snakes' - Apr 11, 2012
- Robot squirrels battle rattlesnakes - Apr 05, 2012
- 40 young rare cobras killed in West Bengal village - Jul 12, 2010
- UK police issue warning as boa constrictor goes on the loose - Aug 01, 2010
Tags: bhubaneswar, brigade training, dense forests, different kinds of snakes, emergency situations, environment conservation, extensive training, fire brigade, fire fighters, first aid, great spirit, helpline, kinds of snakes, non poisonous snakes, orissa, outset, snakebite, snakebites, trainees, training programme