Slain Kashmir youth was militant, reiterates armyJuly 26th, 2012 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 26 (IANS) The young man killed in a Kashmir village two days ago was a militant from whom a weapon was recovered, a senior army officer said Thursday while his family maintained that he was innocent and shot dead while coming out of a mosque.
Referring to the killing of 19-year-old Hilal Ahmad Dar of Bandipora district’s Aloosa village Tuesday evening, Lt. Gen. Om Prakash, General Officer Commanding (GOC) Srinagar-based 15th Corps, said: “The Indian Army is a highly disciplined force. In order to avoid civilian damage, for the last many years our operations are based on intelligence inputs.”
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of a function, he said that it was based on such intelligence reports of militants moving in the area that ambush was laid.
“…When a group of militants approached the ambush, they were challenged to surrender, upon which they opened fire on the troops. One person was killed in the encounter from whose possession a weapon has also been recovered”.
Asked whether the army would initiate an inquiry, he said: “We do not need to prove anything. It was a group of militants.”
On Wednesday, spontaneous protests broke out in the area after Hilal’s body was handed over to relatives for burial. About 24 villagers were injured in clashes with the police in Bandipora town when protestors carrying his body shouted anti-government slogans and pelted stones at security forces.
Villagers and the family said Hilal was innocent and was killed after the Ramzan evening ‘Tarawi’ prayers.
The Bandipora district magistrate has ordered a magisterial probe into the youth’s killing.
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Protests in Kashmir over youth's killing - Jul 25, 2012
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Nine army troopers killed in Kashmir avalanche - Feb 23, 2012
- Avalanches kill 12 army personnel in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Two held for three Kashmir killings in fake gun battle (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Eleven army soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Chinar Corps celebrates 96th raising day - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: ahmad, ambush, army officer, clashes, district magistrate, indian army, intelligence reports, kashmir, militants, mosque, possession, prayers, protestors, protests, security forces, sidelines, slogans, srinagar, tuesday evening, young man