Sixth accused in TISS student rape arrestedApril 21st, 2009 - 7:29 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr.21 (ANI): Mumbai Police on Tuesday Vinamra Soni, the only absconding-accused from a gang of six that was charged with the rape of an American student at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS).
The arrest was carried out after a local court refused to grant Soni anticipatory bail.
Five others named by the girl had been arrested within two days of the complaint being registered.
The TISS student whose identity has been withheld had accused the six boys, most of them students of reputed south Mumbai colleges of drugging her and then gang-raping her.
Soni, 21, who has been accused of raping a 23-year-old US national student of the prestigious institute approached the sessions court seeking anticipatory bail, apprehending arrest in the case. He was at large after the victim lodged a complaint.
Soni’s application states that he has been falsely implicated in the case and that the victim is trying to malign his image.
The six boys, accused of raping the TISS student, never thought that the girl would complain to the police about being sexually abused.
In fact, during their interrogation, the three boys - who have been in police custody since last week, said that the girl behaved so normally after the incident that they didn’t think she would file a police complaint.
They were so emboldened that they even gave the girl a contraceptive pill after the rape, and the fact that she consumed it without saying anything, assured them that she was not going to file a police complaint, a Trombay police officer disclosed.
The victim had gone partying with her hostel-mate, Annie Brown, and five of Browns male friends on Saturday. The group ate and drank at Deonars Cafe XO, where the victim was allegedly forced to drink beyond her capacity, after which she and the five boys proceeded to Andheri. There, the group crashed at the Seven Bungalows flat of a friend - the sixth accused - identified as a certain Kundan Gohain, who is a student at Rajiv Gandhi Engineering College in Versova.
The girl soon fell unconscious and was allegedly raped by the six boys. The boys had decided at Cafe XO itself that they were going to sexually abuse the girl once they reached Andheri. That is why they kept insisting that she drink some more.
According to a report, the five boys who accompanied the girl from TISS have been identified as Vinamra Soni (a student at Jai Hind college), Jaskaran Singh Bhullar alias Karan (student at HR College), Hershvardhan (student at Sydenham college), Anish Borkataki (student at SP Jain Management and Research Institute) and Darayaus Colabawala (student at Hinduja college, and whom the victim identifies as Devsi).
All the five boys were staying at the International Boys Hostel at Churchgate, the police said.
The Trombay police produced the three accused in the Kurla court on Thursday. The court has remanded them to police custody till April 28. (ANI)
- Two more arrested in TISS rape case - Apr 17, 2009
- Two more arrested for raping American student, one absconding - Apr 17, 2009
- Six Mumbai students accused of raping American acquitted - Oct 06, 2010
- Girl gangraped in Patna boys' hostel - Sep 12, 2012
- Haryana university student alleges gang-rape - May 18, 2012
- Girl set afire for resisting rape - Nov 05, 2011
- They think we're easy target: Northeast youth in Delhi - Dec 08, 2010
- Andhra police question CRPF men for rape - Nov 15, 2011
- Engineering student killed for having affair - Nov 24, 2011
- Himachal governor inspects hostel where girls exploited - Feb 12, 2010
- Legislator's rape-accused nephew arrested - Feb 08, 2011
- Two engineering students held for rape - Feb 17, 2011
- Three nabbed for gang rape of US student in Mumbai - Apr 15, 2009
- Two minors raped in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: absconding, annie brown, browns, bungalows, contraceptive pill, institute of social sciences, interrogation, local court, male friends, mumbai colleges, mumbai police, police complaint, police custody, police officer, prestigious institute, sessions court, stude, tata institute of social sciences, tiss student, xo