Six trucks from Pakistan carry goods to KashmirNovember 18th, 2008 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 18 (IANS) Six mini trucks carrying goods from Pakistani Kashmir Tuesday crossed the border in Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir. But no vehicle from this side carried goods to Pakistan-administered Kashmir because traders here have decided not to send their consignments across the Line of Control (LoC) because of lack of communication, banking arrangements and contact with traders across the border.
Six load carriers carrying onions, basmati rice and slippers from Chakoti unloaded their consignments at Salamabad in Uri, a police officer said.
The cross-LoC trade was started between two parts of the divided Kashmir Oct 21 when Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra flagged off the first trade convoy from Salamabad for Chakoti.
The traders here have decided not to resume the cross-LoC trade unless the government allows a delegation of fruit traders to visit Muzaffarabad and work out modalities with their counterparts there.
“We have no knowledge about what happened to the 7,000 boxes of fruit we have already sent to Muzaffarabad since the LoC trade began Oct 21,” Farooq Ahmad Malik, president of the valley’s fruit buyers’ association, said.
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Cross-LOC trade completes one year - Oct 21, 2009
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- 25 trucks carry goods across LoC - Oct 28, 2008
- Trans-Kashmir trade booms, but barter not favoured - Sep 12, 2009
- 21 trucks carry goods across India-Pakistan border in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2008
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- Divided Kashmir to trade after six decades (Roundup) - Oct 20, 2008
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Trucks for cross LoC trade begin journey - Oct 20, 2008
- Trade across Line of Control picking up - Mar 23, 2010