Six more guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight, death toll 25March 24th, 2009 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 24 (IANS) Six guerrillas were killed in an ongoing gunfight with security forces in Kashmir, as the death toll rose to 25 on the fifth day of the protracted battle Tuesday.
“The operation is continuing and today (Tuesday) six more terrorists were killed,” defence spokesman Lt. Col. J.S. Brar told IANS.
The army had surrounded a group of heavily armed guerrillas in the Shamswari forests of the north Kashmir Kupwara border district last Thursday following specific information about the presence of militants there.
Brar said in all 25 people, including 17 guerrillas and eight army troopers, were killed in the gun battle.
“We have recovered (from the shootout site) huge quantity of arms and ammunition that include 17 assault rifles, four under barrel grenade launchers (UBGL), 19 UBGL grenades, two Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and one Kenwood radio set,” he said.
He denied media reports that helicopter gunships were used during the operations and added “there was minimum collateral damage in this operation”.
The army gunfight in the Shamswari mountain range is the second longest this year after the seven-day-long battle in Poonch district of the state in January.
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Militant hideout busted in Kashmir, arms cache recovered - Aug 27, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled, four militants killed - Jul 03, 2010
- Five guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- Terrorist camps operating in Pakistan-held Kashmir: Indian Army - May 09, 2011
- Five soldiers buried in Kashmir avalanche - Jan 24, 2012
- Arms, ammunition recovered in Kashmir - May 31, 2011
- Army foils infiltration bid, two intruders killed - May 26, 2010
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 16, 2010
- Troops gun down guerrilla in Kashmir forest - Sep 02, 2011
- Kashmir mosque siege on as militant refuses to give up (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Huge arms cache unearthed in Jammu's Reasi - Jul 20, 2012
- Five infiltrators, three soldiers killed in LoC gunfight - Jun 28, 2010
Tags: ammunition, assault rifles, brar, collateral damage, death toll, defence spokesman, fifth day, forests, global positioning systems, gps, grenade launchers, grenades, guerrillas, gun battle, helicopter gunships, kashmir, last thursday, militants, north kashmir, security forces