Six killed in Jammu and Kashmir blast (Lead)April 21st, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 21 (IANS) At least six people, including a woman, were killed Tuesday when a powerful bomb blew up the vehicle the victims were travelling in in Jammu and Kashmir, officials said. The bombing occurred two days ahead of the second phase of the Lok Sabha elections.
Five people were also injured when the Tata pickup was blown up in the explosion in mountainous Marha area of Poonch district, about 230 km northwest of Jammu, said Brigadier General Staff of 16 Corps Brig. Gurdeep Singh.
“From the nature of the blast, it appeared that the explosive was planted inside the engine of the vehicle,” Singh told IANS.
According to police officials, three Village Defence Committee (VDC) members were among the six killed who died on the spot. The injured were rushed to an army hospital in Surankot.
VDCs are village volunteer groups armed by the government as the first line of defence against militants in remote mountainous areas.
Voting in Poonch was held in the first phase of Lok Sabha elections April 16. The neighbouring Udhampur-Doda constituency votes in the second phase Thursday.
Violence in the terror-ravaged state has escalated ahead of the polls with authorities saying infiltration from Pakistan has also increased in recent times.
- Five civilians killed in Kashmir landmine blast - Apr 21, 2009
- 475 special police officers killed in Kashmir militancy - Mar 31, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir Police takes stock of village defence committees - Sep 07, 2012
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- IAF rescues marooned civilians in Jammu - Aug 05, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir security set-up satisfactory: plan panel - Apr 10, 2009
- Landslide kills five in Kashmir - Apr 18, 2011
- Seven killed due to rains in Jammu - Aug 06, 2012
- Diluting AFSPA dangerous: Congress tells delegation in Jammu - Sep 21, 2010
- BJP declares candidates for two Lok Sabha seats in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2009
- Army donates blankets, sleeping bags to nomadic tribes - Jul 17, 2012
- Poonch villagers help security forces in search operations - May 16, 2010
- Omar Abdullah campaigns for Congress in Jammu - Apr 01, 2009
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: army hospital, brig, brigadier general, constituency, defence committee, general staff, gurdeep singh, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, line of defence, lok sabha elections, militants, mountainous areas, neighbouring, police officials, second phase, tata, vdc, volunteer groups