Six Amarnath pilgrims killed in road accidentJuly 3rd, 2010 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 3 (IANS) Six Amarnath pilgrims were killed and two others injured Saturday when the vehicle in which they were travelling skidded off the road and fell into a gorge on the Jammu-Srinagar highway, police said.
According to police, the accident occurred as the driver of the vehicle failed to negotiate a sharp curve on the mountainous road at Ramsoo, 170 km north of Jammu. Police rescue teams rushed to the spot and recovered the bodies.
“All the killed yatris (pilgrims) have been identified. They all belong to Jalandhar, Punjab,” a police official said.
The families of the pilgrims have been informed, police said.
The pilgrims, part of the fourth batch of pilgrims that left Jammu this morning, were on their way to Pahalgam in south Kashmir.
The annual Amarnath Yatra began July 1, with thousands trekking to the hill shrine of Lord Shiva in the Kashmir Valley.
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- 16 Amarnath pilgrims killed as truck falls into gorge (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- 15 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Over dozen Amarnath pilgrims injured in cane charge - Jul 02, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- 16 pilgrims killed after truck falls into gorge in India - Jul 28, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012