Situation in violence-hit Guwahati under control

November 25th, 2007 - 1:12 pm ICT by admin  

Guwahati, Nov 25 (ANI): A day after a protest march by tribal students turned violent in Guwahati leading to clamping of curfew there, the city is slowly returning to normalcy with no reports of any untoward incident.
An indefinite curfew was imposed on Saturday and the army was called out after mob started rampaging the streets and burnt shops and vehicles.
One person was reportedly killed and around 230 people were injured in the ensuing violence.
Meanwhile, the All Adivasi Students Association (AASA), which had organised the protest march blamed the ruling Congress party for conspiring against it, and has called a 36-hour Assam shutdown from November 26.
AASA President Justin Lakra alleged that the Congress supporters created disturbances in the rally to weaken their movement. Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has appealed to the people of State to maintain calm.
The AASA is demanding the Scheduled Tribe status and went ahead with the Saturdays rally even after they did not acquired relevant permission from the Assam government.
The State government today said that no permission had been granted to the All Adivasi Students’ Association (AASA) to hold a rally in Guwahati.
The AASA had requested for permission to hold a rally on Saturday at Dakhin Beltola High School, but no permission was granted, the Directorate of Information and Public Relations (DIPR) in Guwahati said. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |