Sister Prema chosen as the new head of Missionaries of CharityMarch 26th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, March 26 (ANI): German-born Sister Mary Prema has been elected as the new superior general of the Missionaries of Charity (MC), the congregation founded by Mother Teresa in Kolkata.
The German-born nun replaces Sister Nirmala Joshi, who was re-elected for a third time on March 13 and has led the congregation since 1997, after the death of Mother Teresa.
According to the headquarters of Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata, the nuns were keen to re-elect Sister Nirmala, but she requested to be relieved from her duties due to ill health.
Missionaries of Charity is a Roman Catholic religious order established in 1950. It consists of over 4,500 sisters and is active in 133 countries. (ANI)
- Sister Prema is new head of Missionaries of Charity - Mar 26, 2009
- Mass begins Mother Teresa's birth centenary celebrations - Aug 26, 2010
- Kolkatans shower Mother Teresa with love on centenary (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2010
- Outpouring of love, Papal message mark Mother Teresa centenary (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- Pope sends blessings on Mother Teresa's birth centenary - Aug 26, 2010
- If God wishes, I'll intervene in Kandhamal: Sister Prema - Mar 27, 2009
- Kolkata gears up to salute Mother Teresa Thursday (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Mother Teresa's visual biography opens film festival - Aug 26, 2010
- Kolkata prepraes to salute Mother Teresa - Aug 25, 2010
- West Bengal cathedral co-named after Mother Teresa, Mary - Nov 13, 2009
- Birth Centenary Celebrations Of Mother Teresa Commences With Holy Mass - Aug 27, 2010
- Argentine players visit Mother House, Messi skips - Sep 04, 2011
- Mother Teresa's birth centenary celebrations begin - Aug 23, 2010
- Mother Teresa shelter razed in Moscow - Sep 20, 2011
- Two Mother Teresa coins to be released - Aug 27, 2010