Sir Edmund Hillarys skeletal graveyard dancing pizza ad creates uproarNovember 3rd, 2008 - 5:45 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Nov 3 (ANI): A halloween pizza ad depicting Sir Edmund Hillary dancing in a graveyard has been criticized by his family and friends, who claim it to be in bad taste.
The animated Hell Pizza ad shows a mostly skeletal Sir Ed, along with actor Heath Ledger and the Queen Mother, emerging from graves to dance to Michael Jackson’’s song Thriller.
It was posted on the Internet two days before Halloween, and has been dubbed grotesque by Sir Ed’’s son, Peter Hillary.
“I think it’’s a bit disturbing … a little grotesque. I don”t think it’’s funny and I”m not very impressed,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Mr Hillary, as saying.
“It is early days and it’’s still pretty raw. It’’s extremely poor taste really,” he added.
The video clip has been removed for the company’’s website.
Hell promotions had been under fire, previously, for campaigns featuring Adolf Hitler, a mail drop that included condoms, and a spoof of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin’’s death.
Glenn Corbett, retail operations manager for TPF Group, which acquired the Hell chain in 2006, said the company had no intention of offending anyone, especially the Hillary family.
“Clearly he’’s revered in New Zealand and we all love him. It’’s the sort of thing that Hell does to create a little bit of fun and a little bit of humour, he said.
“The idea of Sir Ed being there was intended to be a light-hearted remembrance of Sir Ed that was a bit hellish,” he added. (ANI)
- Sir Edmund Hillary's widow asked to return Rolex watch put up for auction - Nov 12, 2010
- Hillary's widow told to return watch put up for auction - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand's highest peak may be named after Everest conqueror Edmund Hillary - Aug 05, 2010
- Seven New Zealand locations short-listed for Sir Edmund's honour - Apr 24, 2010
- Edmund Hillary house to be relocated to school - May 11, 2010
- New plans on to save Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary's house - Apr 18, 2010
- Domino's Pizza enters Sri Lankan market - Sep 03, 2011
- Mansion Where Michael Jackson Died For Sale $29M - Aug 05, 2010
- Rift in Sir Edmund Hillary's family - Nov 07, 2010
- Pizza Hut to open more stores that offer wine and beer - Dec 24, 2011
- Pizza Hut to open more stores that offer wine and beer (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Halloween costume history and quotes - Oct 31, 2011
- Sir Ed's historic ice axe lies neglected in museum corner - Jun 13, 2010
- Halloween Express Is Open - Sep 18, 2010
- Sir Edmund Hillary's Rolex watch up for grabs - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: actor heath, adolf hitler, bad taste, bit of fun, crocodile hunter steve, crocodile hunter steve irwin, glenn corbett, halloween pizza, heath ledger, hell pizza, mail drop, operations manager, peter hillary, poor taste, queen mother, retail operations, s song, sir edmund hillary, steve irwin s death, uproar