Singapore Foreign Minister attends Nalanda panel meetAugust 3rd, 2010 - 1:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 3 (ANI): Singapore’s Foreign Minister George Yeo, who is currently on a five-day visit to India, took part in the sixth meeting of the Nalanda Mentor Group (NMG) here on Monday.
Yeo evinced keen interest in the deliberations of the NMG, which is headed by Nobel Laureate economist Amartya Sen.
Yeo is a member of the NMG in his personal capacity.
There was a detailed discussion on the implementation of the framework and operations of the proposed Nalanda International University.
Later, Yeo called on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and apprised him about the proposed plans.
The Union Cabinet on July 8 gave its approval for the presentation of the Nalanda University Bill 2010.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna had proposed this Bill following a consensus reached at the East Asia Summit held in Thailand in October 2009.
According to the Bill, the university shall function as a public-private partnership and the governments of the member states would provide periodic funds.
The Nalanda Mentor Group shall exercise powers as the Interim Governing Board of the University for a period of one year or till such time that members of the governing board have been nominated. (ANI)
- Singapore Foreign Minister Yeo calls on S.M. Krishna in New Delhi - Aug 03, 2010
- Singapore Foreign Minister Yeo meets Chidambaram - Aug 04, 2010
- Amartya Sen in Bihar for Nalanda meeting - Jul 18, 2012
- Cabinet approves presentation of Nalanda University Bill in Parliament - Jul 08, 2010
- Padma for Singapore ex-minister with Nalanda connect - Jan 25, 2012
- Global competition for Nalanda university design - Jul 07, 2011
- Nalanda Mentor Group holds meet in Patna - Jul 06, 2011
- Cabinet nod for bill to revive Nalanda University - Jul 08, 2010
- Amartya Sen-headed Nalanda varsity group to meet in Patna - Jul 05, 2011
- Kalam dissociates himself from Nalanda university - Sep 15, 2011
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Singapore Buddhist groups to help finance Nalanda university - Aug 03, 2010
- Rajya Sabha passes bill to rebuild Nalanda University (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata's Presidency University - May 26, 2011
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
Tags: deliberations, east asia summit, external affairs minister, george yeo, governing board, keen interest, krishna, manmohan, manmohan singh, member states, mentor group, nalanda university, New Delhi, nobel laureate economist, personal capacity, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public private partnership, singapore foreign minister, union cabinet