Sikkim holds exhibition to showcase environmental heritageDecember 13th, 2009 - 10:17 pm ICT by ANI
Gangtok, Dec 13(ANI): The forest department of Sikkim organised an exhibition to showcase the environmental heritage of the state in Gangtok this week.
Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling inaugurated the daylong exhibition, which presented the rich biodiversity of the state, at Saramsa Garden on Wednesday.
The occasion marked the concluding ceremony of ‘100 years of Sikkim forestry’.
The exhibition also introduced people to the state’s rich flora and fauna, comprising of heritage trees, landscapes, endangered wildlife, water bodies and the river network.
“We want to enthuse them to contribute more and at par with the international standards and also propagate indigenous things by massively campaigning for the environment-clean water, air and plantation. We are providing the incentives for the sake of environmental protection,” said Gut Lepcha, Additional Director of the Sikkim Forest Department.
On the occasion, Chamling released various books on Sikkim’s fauna and flora and felicitated forest officials and NGOs engaged in conservation.
The programme featured exhibition on sericulture and floriculture activities, different species of indigenous timber species besides application of state-of-the-art resources like Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) in forest conservation.Campaigns to enhance awareness on environmental matters, seminars and policy on forest and wildlife conservation were also held.
“We are promoting through the programme that the future generations will pick up the system and go ahead with the conservation programme of the state of Sikkim,” said Bhim Dhungel, Sikkim Forest Minister.
Forest department, on the occasion of its centenary celebration, mooted a plan for a bird park at Rabdentse. (ANI)
- IUCN to inspect Himachal national park next year - Dec 17, 2011
- Ansari visits Dachigam National Park - Sep 17, 2012
- Initiative to conserve flora, fauna launched - Jun 28, 2011
- Punjab, Pakistan to exchange wildlife - Sep 25, 2011
- Dhumal administers green pledge to public - Jun 05, 2012
- Our ability to preserve wildlife at test: PM - Oct 07, 2011
- Rahul visits quake injured in Sikkim - Sep 21, 2011
- Western Ghats put on World Heritage Site list - Jul 02, 2012
- Justice Dinakaran takes oath as the Chief Justice of Sikkim - Aug 09, 2010
- UNESCO team to visit plateau of flowers - Oct 10, 2010
- Assam governor launches green project - Jun 05, 2012
- 9 Sundarbans tourist lodges served demolition notices - Sep 09, 2010
- Punjab approves Rs.60 crore wildlife preservation plan - Jun 09, 2010
- 'Rampant development a threat to Indian forests', says Ramesh - Jan 05, 2011
- Conservation efforts for Red Panda in Gangtok zoo - Jun 27, 2009
Tags: bird park, centenary celebration, conservation campaigns, environmental heritage, fauna and flora, flora and fauna, forest conservation, forest department, forest minister, forest officials, future generations, gangtok, geospatial information systems, heritage trees, indigenous timber, rich biodiversity, rich flora, sericulture, timber species, wildlife water