Sikhs demand Pak should allow celebration of all the eight festivalsOctober 8th, 2008 - 3:58 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore , Oct 8 (ANI): Indian Sikhs have demanded of the Pakistan government to allow the community to celebrate all the eight major festivals in the country. At present the Pakistan Government allows the community to celebrate only six festivals, except the two, viz. the birth anniversary of Sri Guru Gubind Singh and Saka Nankana Sahib.
Putting forth this demand, Jathedar Gopal Singh Janiya, a member of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee (SGPC), Amritsar thanked the Pakistan government for increasing the number of Sikh events from four to six.
Janiya is the party leader of Sikh pilgrims that reached Pakistan on Monday to commemorate the 474th birthday of the fourth guru in Sikhism, Guru Ram Das at Chuna Mandi Gurdwara.
He said that this was the first time Sikh pilgrims of the SGPC had been allowed to commemorate this event in Pakistan , reported the Daily Times.
He said that the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) in Pakistan , which looks after the interests of the minorities in Pakistan , was working well in maintaining the Chuna Mandi Gurdwara, the birthplace of fourth Sikh guru.
He said that the SGPC had assigned Jugtar Singh to renovate the Chuna Mandi Gurdwara, as he was the competent authority of the SGPC to construct and renovate all the gurdwaras in India .
This time, the SGPC has donated two Chandoa Sahib (embroidered cloth covering Guru Granth Sahib), worth Rs two lakh each to the Chuna Mandi Gurdwara, he added.
Both the governments should ease traveling restrictions on Sikh pilgrims, he said and added that the distance between Lahore and Amritsar was barely 50 km but it took 11 hours for the pilgrims to reach Lahore . (ANI)
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Sikhs in Pakistan celebrate 474th birth anniversary of Guru Ram Das - Oct 10, 2008
- 350 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Ranjit Singh anniversary - Jun 22, 2012
- Sikh group leaves for Pakistan to mark Baisakhi with relatives - Apr 11, 2010
- Land attached to Sikhs Shrines sold at throwaway prices in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2009
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Sikh delegation meets Pak PM in Lahore, takes up flexible visa issue demand - Nov 27, 2010
- Sikhs barred from Pakistan gurdwara - Jul 20, 2011
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- 3,000 Indian Sikhs to visit Pakistan - Apr 11, 2011
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Birth anniversary of Guru Ram Dass being celebrated in Golden Temple - Oct 09, 2010
- Sikh Jatha visiting Pakistan on 474th birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Ram Das - Oct 06, 2008
Tags: birth anniversary, competent authority, etpb, gopal singh, gurdwaras, guru granth, mandi, minorities in pakistan, nankana, pakistan government, saka, sgpc amritsar, shiromani gurdwara, sikh events, sikh guru, sikh pilgrims, sikhs, sri guru, trust property, worth rs