Sikhs celebrate Holla Mohalla through blood donation campsMarch 10th, 2009 - 5:46 pm ICT by ANI
Anandpur Sahib, Mar 10 (ANI): The Sikh community, on Tuesday, celebrated the spring festival of ”Holla Mohalla” in a philanthropic way by organising a massive blood donation camp at holy town of Anandpur Sahib in Punjab.
The event organised under the aegis of Shri Akal Takht Sahib and Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), tried to create a new world record by roping in at least 25,000 units of blood in a single day.
Held in a huge makeshift tent, the camp was amply provided with various facilities.
A team of 5,000 volunteers, 3000 paramedics and 100 doctors came together at the camp, where more than 110 blood banks from across the country would be coming to collect the samples.
“We have just started and have collected around 1500 units of blood so far. Our aim is to collect 25,000 units and by the grace of God, we will be able to collect it by evening,” said Jaswinder Singh, Organiser.
The donors also exclaimed that they were very delighted to donate blood at the camp.
“Donating blood at a blood donation camp is the greatest act of humanity and I”m very happy to be a part of it,” said Harprit Singh, a donor.
Holla Mohalla coincides with Holi, the Hindu festival of colours, and commemorates the transformation of the Sikh community into a martial fraternity by Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru of the Sikhs.
It was in Anandpur Sahib, 90 kilometres from Chandigarh, that Guru Gobind Singh, the last of the Sikh Gurus, founded Khalsa Panth (Sikh order) in 1699 to counter the Mughal Empire during its heydays. (ANI)
- Thousands converge at shrine for Hola Mohalla - Mar 08, 2012
- Sikhism's spiritual high seat: Journeying through Anandpur Sahib (With Image) - Dec 26, 2010
- Sikhs to hold mega-blood donation camp in Punjab - Feb 16, 2009
- Green 'Hola Mohalla' festival planned at Punjab gurdwara - Mar 12, 2011
- Sikh festival Holla Mohalla starts at Anandpur Sahib - Feb 27, 2010
- Sikh group wants Anandpur Sahib declared plastic free - Mar 11, 2011
- 25,000 people may donate blood during Hola Mohalla celebrations - Feb 27, 2009
- Over 17,000 donate blood in Punjab's mega camp - Mar 10, 2009
- Australian Sikhs celebrate Baisakhi in Sydney - Apr 17, 2011
- 18,207 people donate blood in Punjab's mega camp - Mar 11, 2009
- Sikh groups to hold mega blood donation camp - Mar 09, 2009
- 'Virasat-e-Khalsa' opened at Anandpur Sahib - Nov 25, 2011
- Luxury train on Sikh pilgrimage across India sold out - Dec 26, 2010
- PM likely to inaugurate Sikh monument next month - Oct 08, 2011
- Hit by delays, Sikh heritage project gets another deadline - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,