Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrimsMarch 3rd, 2011 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, Mar.3 (ANI): The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) has urged the Pakistan Government to liberalize visa norms for Indian pilgrims visiting Nankana Sahib, a holy Sikh shrine there.
SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar appealed to authorities in Pakistani to ease the visa norms.
Pakistan should allow pilgrims from India to visit Nankana Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Nanak who is also the founder of Sikhism without too much hassle, Makkar said.
” It is a very pious place. Nankana Sahib is considered as the Mecca of the Sikh community. They should allow us to go and visit that place. We want the Haryana government to provide the Visas. We go there for our religious beliefs,” he added.
There are over 170 Sikh historical shrines in Pakistan, but very few Indian pilgrims are allowed to visit the shrines due to the strict visa norms. (ANI)
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- SGPC sends first Sikh jatha to Bangladesh - Nov 29, 2010
- Security stepped up around Haryana gurdwaras - Sep 13, 2010
- Avoid Pakistan, government tells pilgrims (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2009
- Sikh delegation meets Pak PM in Lahore, takes up flexible visa issue demand - Nov 27, 2010
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated in Pakistan - Nov 21, 2010
- Sikh pilgrims leave for Pakistan to attend Guru Nanak's death anniversary - Sep 21, 2009
- Avoid Pakistan, government tells pilgrims (Lead) - Oct 27, 2009
- Sikh pilgrims visit Pakistan - Nov 09, 2011
- Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 10, 2011
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- 4,000 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Nanak's birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: authorities, founder of sikhism, guru nanak, haryana government, hassle, India, makkar, mecca, nankana sahib, norms, pakistan government, pilgrims, religious beliefs, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, shrines, sikh community, sikhs, visa, visas