Sikh student federation launches Bhindranwale sticker drive in LudhianaNovember 9th, 2009 - 10:34 pm ICT by ANI
Ludhiana, Nov. 9 (ANI): Activists of Sikh student federation here on Monday released posters and stickers of Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, the main architect of militancy in Punjab, calling him a “saint.”
Protestors took to roads on Monday to paste his 100,000 stickers at various places including vehicles and walls.
“Earlier, the stickers of Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale pasted on vehicles and walls were objected by some political parties, especially Congress and Shiv Sena. They claimed that he was a militant. So, releasing stickers of him is our way of answering the government,” said Gurdeep Singh Gosha, Member of Sikh Student Federation (Mehta).
Bhindranwale was killed in “Operation Blue star” launched by the Indian army to flush out separatists from the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar, killing scores and damaging the Akal Takht structure during the operation.
“People say that one should not paste the stickers of Bhindranwale on their vehicles or the walls, but he rests in our hearts. He was accused of being a militant, but he always fought for the upliftment of the Sikh community. His teachings will remain in our hearts forever,” said Jatinder Singh, a local resident.
Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, who ordered the Operation Blue star, was gunned down four months later by two of her Sikh bodyguards over the Operation Blue Star. (ANI)
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- A miniature replica of Akal Takht to revisit Operation Blue Star - Jun 06, 2010
- Sikhs demand ban on Kuldip Nayar's book - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
- Manmohan Singh apologizes 'on behalf of government" for 1984 anti-Sikh disturbances - Jun 29, 2010
- Opposition mounts to Amitabh's plea on anti-Sikh riots - Dec 16, 2011
- 25 years after death, Bhindranwale lives through posters, stickers - May 26, 2009
- Scars of Operation Bluestar remain - 25 years later - Jun 05, 2009
- Sikh body wants action against Ajay Devgn - Aug 29, 2012
- Sikh leaders perform Akhand Path on Blue Star anniversary - Jun 06, 2009
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Sikh organisations to mark 25 years of Operation Bluestar - May 24, 2009
- A journalist recalls the horror of Operation Bluestar (Lead) - Jun 05, 2009
Tags: blue star, bodyguards, former prime minister, golden temple, gosha, gurdeep singh, indian army, indira gandhi, jarnail singh, jatinder singh, ludhiana, mehta, militancy, prime minister indira, separatists, shiv, sikh community, sticker drive, student federation, upliftment