Sikh devotees furious over demolition orders of a gurdwara in SangrurJune 22nd, 2009 - 11:33 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Sangrur (Punjab), June 22 (ANI): A number of Sikh devotees are outraged due to Akal Takht’s order to demolish a portion of a controversial gurdwara due to having objection over its shape which resembles the Golden Temple of Amritsar.
The construction of the controversial Gurudwara located at Malerkotla has upset the Akal Takht as well as the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), the apex body that manages all major Sikh shrines across the country.
On Sunday, Akal Takht ordered for demolition of domes and other portions of the controversial Sikh temple and also changing of the name of the gurdwara following a meeting conducted by over 50 Sikh religious bodies including the Jathedar of Akal Takht in holy Amritsar city.
Over a hundred of devotees have armed themselves with sticks to guard the gurdwara’s complex since the demolition orders.
Men, women, and even children, are patrolling the complex day and night, ready to even lay down their lives to protect their revered shrine.
“This is the organisation’s decision. We will not let anybody damage the temple and thousands of people from our area are ready to protect it. We will not tolerate it (destruction of gurdwara). For us Durbar Sahib is more important than Akal Takht … We all are guarding the temple…If anybody comes to destroy it, we will retaliate. We will protect it at any cost even if we have to lay down our lives,” said Balbir Singh, a devotee.
The roots of the controversy are 40 years old. The shrine, owned by Mastuana Dera, a Sikh sect headed by Sant Sadhu Singh, has been under construction since 1967.
The Mastuana sect comprises of Sikh followers, mostly from the lower-strata of society. Recent attempts to restart work on the incomplete shrine have provoked angry objections. (ANI)
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to reshape Golden temple's replica in Sangrur - Jun 21, 2009
- Outrage over Golden Temple replica in Punjab - Jun 15, 2009
- Sikh leaders order demolition of Golden Temple replica - Jun 20, 2009
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Akal Takht announces new martyrdom day for Guru Teg Bahadur - Nov 23, 2010
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Dec 01, 2011
- Amritsar goes ahead with plans to welcome Obama - Oct 20, 2010
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Opposition mounts to Amitabh's plea on anti-Sikh riots - Dec 16, 2011
- Former Akal Takht Jathedar declared guilty of religious misconduct - Dec 05, 2009
- Obama's always welcome to Golden Temple: Sikh leaders (Lead) - Oct 20, 2010
- Former Akal Takht head excommunicated from Sikh religion - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: akal takht, amritsar city, apex, apex body, balbir singh, devotee, devotees, domes, golden temple, gurdwara, gurudwara, punjab, ravinder singh, religious bodies, sadhu singh, sangrur, sect, sikh shrines, sikh temple, strata