Sikh community prays for tsunami victimsMarch 14th, 2011 - 6:26 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, Mar 14(ANI): Members of Sikh community gathered in large numbers at the Golden Temple in Amritsar on Monday to offer special prayers for the victims of tsunami that struck northeast Japan on Friday.
Gurbachan Singh, the high priest of the Golden Temple, said: “Sikh community here today prays for the people who lost their homes and businesses and for the peace of the souls who lost their lives in the disaster. We have to help victims and their families in whatever possible manner”
Japan is reeling under the devastating effects of a massive earthquake, measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale.
Japan’s Meteorological Agency on Sunday raised the magnitude of the earthquake to 9.0, making it the largest to hit the country in 140 years and fifth most powerful to hit the world in the past century.
The country is facing a humanitarian crisis, with millions of people left without water, electricity, homes or heat.
Tens of thousands of people have taken shelter in schools and stadiums to escape near-freezing temperatures.
The Japanese Government has mobilised a widespread rescue effort to deliver food, water and fuel, and pull stranded survivors from buildings and damaged homes.
In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in Japan’s northeast Pacific coast, Sanriku had killed over 3,000 people. Last year fishing facilities were damaged by tsunami, caused by a strong tremor in Chile.
Japan is located in one of the world’s most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world’s earthquakes. (ANI)
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 01, 2011
- Strong quake strikes off eastern Japan, no damage - Aug 22, 2011
- Strong earthquake jolts eastern Japan - Aug 12, 2011
- 6.4 Earthquake hits off Japan's east coast - Jun 18, 2012
- Tsunami in Japan 'may return after 1000 years' - Mar 16, 2011
- Japan toll may cross tens of thousands, fears of nuclear disaster remain (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Fresh blast in Japan n-plant; 2,000 more bodies found (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Two strong aftershocks rock Japan minutes apart - Mar 15, 2011
- Sensex falls 401 points, amid fears of nuclear catastrophe in Japan - Mar 15, 2011
- Fresh fire at Japan n-plant, emperor deeply worried (Evening Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Delhi's high-rises vulnerable to Himalayan quake (Jan 26 is anniversary of the 2001 Bhuj earthquake) - Jan 25, 2012
- Japan issues tsunami warning after 7.2 earthquake - Mar 09, 2011
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,